Cat bites and hisses for no reason...

I have a 6 month old kitten (turning 7 months in a week or so), she was adopted in August at the age of 2 months. At the shelter, she was described as a bit of a "rough and tumble" kitty who loved to play, and when we got her, yes she would bite every now and then, but it was mostly for attention, not much else -- and it didn't hurt. But now, it's rare that she goes a day without hissing and biting (which now hurts). People will be standing around, not doing much, and then all of a sudden, her ears go back, she hisses and bites. We've tried so many methods (saying no, squirting...) but nothing is working. It's getting worse (she hisses at guests).

But don't get me wrong - she's not evil or anything. She can be a bit of a lovebug at times and loves to be around people, but lately she's had a bit of a mean streak and we don't know what to do. I don't think she's sick or injured, & she has everything she needs: food, water, lots of toys, 2 scratch posts, 2 cat trees. She's our only cat.

Asked by Member 1145145 on Dec 13th 2012 Tagged behaviorproblems, hissing, biting, kitten, training in Behavior & Training

Answers

Ghost

I would think she needs more play time. You said she has toys so make an effort to really wear her out at least one time a day and see if it makes a difference. Try ping pong or foil balls my cat loves to chase them.

Ghost answered on 12/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer