Cat attacks my head whenever I'm about to fall asleep!

Whenever I lay down to nap on the couch or sleep in my bed my cat sneaks up behind me and attacks my head, she'll claw at my head and bite it. Always when I'm half asleep! I'm miserable I can't take a nap in my own house without fear of being attacked. It happens every time. Sometimes I notice before she does it and her eyes get black and sometimes she starts shaking in placing before she attacks me. What does this mean? Why is she doing this and how can I get her to stop?! I rescued her a year ago today and she's never liked me. I'm always nice to her but she just hates me. She loves my boyfriend though even though hes more abusive and strict with her. I can't even pet her without her going to bite me but she'll lay on my boyfriends lap and he can stroke her for 20 minutes and she'll enjoy it and lick him lovingly. I just don't get why my cat hates and attacks me. She is spayed and that never helped her behavior with me. Thanks for any input. I'm getting really tired of this everyday.

Asked by Member 1132856 on Sep 26th 2012 Tagged aggression, attack, sleeping, biting, scratching, head in Aggression

Answers

Alexander, Dreamboat #110

Get that play toy that it is a wand stick. I find when I tired them out that they want to sleep too. At night, I will play with them until they lie down. My older cat knows that if he catches the end of the stick that he will get a treat. Cats love to hunt and kill. Your cat wants to play. Before you nap, play with her and give her a treat when she catches the end.
How abusive is your boy friend? He shouldn't hit her. She doesn't hate you. Relax when you are with her. Pretend that you don't care. She will come after you for some loving. Never use your hands to play with them too. Always use a toy. My youngest loves to chase balls so she will retrieve them. I have a long play wand in every room. They will drag it over to me to play with them.( especially if they know that treats are involved.)
Hope that this helps....also watch Jackson Galaxy- "My Cat from Hell". He gets owners involved with playing and the cat is easy to be with. Your cat just wants to play. She doesn't hate you....

Alexander, Dreamboat #110 answered on 9/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The other poster gives good advice. But,I am concerned that if your cat is living with violence, being struck or abused by your BF, like children who are beaten, she thinks that violence and aggressiveness are OK. You say your cat starts to "shake" before she attacks, so you do have some warning. Take a soda can and put a few pennies inside and tape the hole shut. When she comes at you, shake it and say "NO!" but don't screech at her. Actually, I wonder if she thinks you're a "litter mate" of her's because that's how kittens play with their siblings. Make sure you are the one who feeds her, scoops her box, grooms her, etc. You need to establish yourself as "the boss of" her and that doesn't mean hitting or shrieking at her. She needs training. Like the other poster said, she doesn't dislike you. She just need to be trained, with love, patience and kindness.

Emma

I've got a few.
One is that she's trying to show dominance over you, and you being very still is just the time to do it. Cats don't always know their people are people. You might want to read up on cat to cat dominance behavior. A quick way to assert your dominance is to grab her by the scruff of her neck and pick her up a bit or hold her down to the ground with some pressure. This is how a momma cat would do it.
Wear her out as another poster mentioned. Play, play, play. It will wear her down, release some aggression, and train her to be accustomed to that as an outlet.
Finally, she may have some kind of trauma associated with sleeping people. Being rolled on, trapped, something to do with sleeping noises you make. There isn't an easy answer.
Since you think she hates, you, you might be giving cues you're not realizing. Your body language could be speaking for you. "My Cat From Hell" covers this well.

Emma answered on 9/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer