Gonzo

Can you feed kittens table scraps??

My kitten is about 3 months old. I don't know if I can feed him table scraps. But I do have 9 other kittens and cats. So if I bought cat food it would cost alot of money to feed them.

Asked by Gonzo on Jun 17th 2009 Tagged food in Homemade Food

Answers

Henry (1996-2010)

Cats should not be fed human food! Table scraps are a big no-no as they may contain ingredients that may be toxic to kitty (onions) and just promote bad habits like begging and finickiness.

You can feed a cat a raw diet, but it must designed for cats, not leftover chicken off your plate.

No offense, but if you can't afford to feed your cats cat food, you may want to look into finding them new homes. If you can't afford food, how do you afford other essentials like kitty litter and vet care?

Henry (1996-2010) answered on 6/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with everything Henry has said. None of your cats should be eating table scraps. Not only for the possible risks from things like onions but because of the lack of the nutrients like Taurine that a cat needs to be healthy. If you buy cat food in larger bags it is much more affordable. The 15 pound bag of most brands is a big cost savings. And really as much as I would not consider Purina Cat Chow for my own and prefer a more holistic brand, it is still healthier than a diet of table scraps and is very affordable. I have 6 cats only because I can afford to feed them and can afford all of the vet care (sometimes at the expense of making sacrifices on my own needs) You will have to excuse us for thinking maybe you should limit the number of cats you have if feeding them is an issue.

You may want to hook up with a rescue organization. I know you love all your kitties, but 9 is an awful lot. If you cannot afford food, how will you afford a kitty medical emergency? They come up very quickly and can be very expensive. The kindest thing to do for your kitties may be to find a new home for a few of them.

Gracie

For all the reasons given above, I want to stress that table scraps are not good for a cat's health.

I noticed from his profile that he dwells outdoors, as do the other two kittens you added on catster, so I am wondering if you're not trying to take care of feral and/or stray kittens, and have not been able to do TNR on your own. If so, do consider that maybe you can't do it alone, and try to find a rescue that will help you.

Go to petfinder.com and run a search for kittens up for adoption using your zip code. That will bring up a list of cats, but more importantly the organizations that are trying to find them home. You can usually click through to their pages, and get their contact info. I suggest you try as many local rescues as they can, so that hopefully someone can step in and help these cats.

Gracie answered on 6/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

addison

Table scraps are very bad for cats.

1. Cats can't eat certain things. Some foods are like poison

2.If you give a cat something with bones they may choke

3.Human food is bad for cats espically for kittens

Tip: If you dont think you have enough money to buy catfood Try going with cheaper stores or offbrands. a 5lb bag of dry cat food might not be as expensive as 10 cans of cat food.

addison answered on 6/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mittens

Don't feed kitty table scraps! It is very toxic, and it even makes their poop smell HORRIBLE. The food messes up their digestive system and gives them diarrhea.

Mittens answered on 6/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am sorry, but I have to be straight with you! It sounds to me like your cats aren't spayed/neutered and this is why you have so many! First, get all of the cats fixed (if they aren't). Second, NEVER feed a cat or kitten table scraps! Cats cannot tolerate certain things that we eat and you could be setting them up for a lot of health problems. Buy a good premium cat food (taking into consideration their ages) and keep them on the same food. If you cannot afford cat food, then you should seriously consider: 1) adopting them out to SUITABLE homes; OR 2) turning them in to a local shelter that will find them homes. Pets are a responsibility and should be treated like part of the family (like a child). They depend on us to take care of them. This includes giving them proper nutrition, regular vet care, and a safe and loving environment to live in. Best of luck.

SMUDGE

Part of the responsibility of pet ownership is the care and feeding of our animal friends. For cat owners, appropriate feline care can greatly increase the health of our cats and extend their lives significantly. Subsequently, choosing the appropriate cat food – based on breed and size - is of the utmost importance in taking responsible care of our cats. i have found a most informative article on THE IMPORTANCE OF APPROPRIATE CAT FOOD at askables.com hope it helps

SMUDGE answered on 6/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer