Misu

Can rabies shot affect a cat's behavior?

Took my cat to the vet in the last week of May for a bath & this wasnt her first time. She's had them before. Before they gave her the bath, they gave her the Chlamydia shot as well as a booster. She has had them before right before a bath and has had no problems.

However the only thing different this time is that we told the vet to give her a rabies shot. They never told me abt how the shot can last for 3 yrs instead of one yr. We gave her a rabies shot about 2 years ago @ humane society (never at this vet).

So after we took her back home, she kept crying even after released from cage (which never happened before). She eventually came around & was less freaked out like she usually is aftr putting her in cage for the vet. But ever since we brought her home, she hasnt been the same. She is less playful. Has really sad eyes. Walks around & looks like a zombie.Doesn't want to stay in the house for very long

will it wear off? Is it b/c of rabies shot? I don't know what to do, HELP!

Asked by Misu on Jun 11th 2008 Tagged rabies, vaccinations, vet, shots, health, behavior, sad, sick in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Jack Kayden -love always

Alot of groomers won't bath animals within 48 hours of having a vaccine. Its not because the bath will affect the vaccine, but because kitties can feel under the weather after being vaccinated. (just like how they tell us we may feel flu like symptoms after a flu shot). If your vet didn't dry ur cat properly after her bath, she could have chilled, & along with feeling crumy from the vaccine, it is understandable that ur cat may not act like herself. Usually the injection site will be sore for a day or two, but she should feel better soon. You will want to contact your vet right away if she has any swelling of the injection site or swelling of her face, any vomiting or diarrhea, or if she is very lethargic (symptoms of a vaccine reaction). Also, FYI, 1yr and 3yr rabies vaccine are exactly the same shot. (Alot of people don't know this). calling the shot a 1yr or 3 yr rabies vaccine depends on ur cats vaccine history. the first vaccine needs boostered in 1yr, then every 3yr after that.

Jack Kayden -love always answered on Jun 11th.

Answers

Tipper

You shouldn't ave to worry about the shot causeing problems for happening too soon. Some states require the shot yearly so two years shouldn't be a big deal. I just got my rabies shot about 3 weeks ago and for the following two or three days I was slugginsh and ouchy on my bum and sorta cranky and spent most of my time hiding behind the closet door. Meowmy made me comfy with a cozy towel and a dish of food and water behind the door. But I'm all fine now. it's just a temporary reaction to the shot, just like people sometimes get mild symptoms after they get a shot. If you're not better in a couple days or if you get worse then see the vet, otherwise I think you'll be fine.

Tipper answered on 6/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Our animals often feel under the weather after getting shots. Just give some extra TLC and special treats and she should be back to normal in no time.

You've gotten some good advice from the other posters, however, if there has been a sudden change in your baby's behavior, then you need to go to your regular vet and have her checked out. By now, she should be OK from the shots. You may want to also contact the groomer to gauge their response to your question to see if something might have happened to 'weird out' your baby while she was there.