Bullseye

Can people overcome cat allergies?

Hi! I just adopted a kitten and ever since I have had a rash on my chest and arms. No sneezing or any other symptoms. I have had cats all my life- and sleep and snuggle with all of my cats. But this new guy makes me itch. There's no way I am going to give him up, so I have to deal with it. Does anyone know if you can get used to the irritants that are causing the itch? And what products are there to help treat this? Thanks so so so much!

Asked by Bullseye on May 2nd 2012 Tagged kitten, allergies, adopted, symptoms, treatment, dander, irritants, itch, scratch in Allergies

Answers

If you have never been allergic to cats before, I wonder if it is something on him that you are reacting to and not really him at all? I would try giving him a bath in a mild shampoo meant for kittens (or human baby shampoo) and see if that helps you. People who I know with cat allergies usually get worse. They do not get used to it. My ex husband began with skin reactions and ended up with severe asthmatic reactions. Zyrtec is supposed to help humans with pet dander allergies but it makes me sleepy. Also cremes with cortisone should help with the rash and itch. If it truly is him that you are allergic to, bathing him regularly would help keep the dander under control so getting him used to it as a baby would be a good idea. Make it a safe non scary experience by filling the basin with warm water and using a cup to pour the water on him instead of running splashing water and then dry him thoroughly with a towel.

I agree that perhaps he has something on him that's causing you to have a rash. Try bathing him or taking him to get a bath. My human grandmother is allergic to cats & she's got 7 of them. She takes allergy shots weekly.