Can my recently spayed cat produce milk??

my cat had been spayed 4 weeks back. when i took her to my vet today he said that she was lactating and i saw that the amount of milk that was being secreted was sufficient to feed a couple of kittens. she wasn't lactating a couple of days back.she is currently 1 year old and has never mated before let alone littered. my vet says this is highly abnormal post spaying and that it could lead to mamary gland tumour. m scared. plz help.

Asked by Member 1073904 on Nov 29th 2011 Tagged cat, spay, milk, litter, mate, operation in Kittens

Answers

I've not heard of a cat who hasn't had a litter lactating after spaying. It might have something to do with the fact that, when they spay, they remove the uterus but not the ovaries which secrete the hormones for lactation. Do not panic! There are drugs that can be given to your cat to stop her lactation and tests that can be done to find out why this is happening. There is no guarantee that she will develop a tumour, the vet was just giving you a worst case scenario. Keep in touch with your vet, keep an eye on your kitty and she'll be fine!

Actually the ovaries are removed in a spay. www.aspca.org

I agree, this is unusual. As Izzie said, keep in touch with your vet. If you are not satisified with the care and answers you are getting from your vet, consider a second opinion.