Saffy

Can kittens eat asparagus?

I just want to know if 11 weeks is old enough for me to eat asparagus, and if I can eat asparagus at all. I have heard of Creme Puff eating asparagus and how it can be good for you... 38 years is a long time.

Asked by Saffy on Mar 22nd 2011 Tagged food, kittens in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Keep in mind that cats are carnivores and their diet should be mostly meat. But having said that, Izzie gets tiny bits of cheese when I'm making lunches and he loves it. Do not overfeed your kitten veggies. It can alter the body's chemistry since cats are supposed to be meat-eaters. My vet always said if they don't eat it in the wild, you shouldn't feed it to them. Plus, veggies can cause your kitten to have gas and that's not really pleasant. Giving it to your kitten as a treat now and then probably wouldn't hurt, but at her age, she needs the nutrients and balanced diet of a good quality kitten food.

Izzie as always gives excellent advice. Occasional treats for your cats are delightful ways to say I love you but these do not include veggies or breads of any kind - ever. Cats are obligate carnivores with short digestive tracts. This means they are designed for the consumption of meat and meat related products only. Ideally you'd feed Saffy the way nature intended! Kitty would feast on birds and mice that you've prepared or something mimicking this.

Start here: www.catinfo.org

You will find all of the information you need on why cats need a meat only diet. Congratulations on your wonderful (and gorgeous) addition. Many purrs to both of you