Can kitten ear mites hurt my family?

Hello I have a kitten that i believe has ear mites I do not see him scratch but he hides all the time. If he does have ear mites is my family able to catch them? He sleeps on the bed and he is around the house from time to time and also around our clothes, sheets, blankets, etc, can they get stuck in fabric such as the things listed above? Will washing them flush them away and kill them? Can my family and I get them if they get on any part of our body?

Asked by Member 1139435 on Nov 6th 2012 Tagged kittenearmites in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

It's not common, but it is possible especially if he sleeps on your bed or clothing. Signs of ear mites are lots of scratching of the ears and face and brown discharge from the ears. DO NOT attempt to wash, flush, medicate or dig around with anything in his ears yourself. First, you need to determine whether his problem IS ear mites and for that you need a vet. If he hasn't been to a vet yet then he needs to go for an exam and vaccinations to keep him healthy. At that time, the vet can examine his ears and if he does have mites, prescribe medication and clean them for him.