Max

Can I use people Penicillin to treat a urinary tract infection?

Mommy is out of work for 2 years. She cannot afford to take me to the vet and I have another UTI. I eat science diet wet food and I hate water. There is penicillin and bactrim in the house. Can she use any of these medicines?

Asked by Max on Jul 10th 2011 in Medications

Answers

No. I would not give your cat any human medication. You might harm or even kill your cat. Human antibiotics would be too strong a dose, and some may be unsafe for cats. I'm sorry things are bad financially, but your cat absolutely needs to see a vet. UTI's are very serious (not to mention painful) in cats. It can spread to the kidneys. Male cats can also block which is fatal in about 12 hours. Explain the situation to your vet, and ask if they will work out some kind of payment plan for you. Most vets will not want to turn away a sick pet in need of medical care.

I agree with Linus. Please NEVER use human medications on a cat. Many of them will poison a cat or do irreversible harm to their liver and kidneys. I have also never received either of those drugs for my cats even in a vet dose. Antibiotics for a human or an animal work when you use the entire course of treatment. If you are prescribed for 10 days, then you need to use them all until they are gone. So a partial batch of leftover drugs would not cure an infection anyway. If you as a human were prescribed these drugs, you should not have any left over and if you do, whatever you have should be discarded.

mom is unemployed too. my mom has always managed to come with up money to take me and alexis to the vet. there is help avaible. u can look for low cost vets, there are groups that help with vet assitance there is care credit. cats are living animals please take care of them and please take your kitty to the vet. u should read this form
www.catster.com