can i use human shampoo on my cat

Asked by Member 906721 on Oct 31st 2009 in Other Kittens

Answers

Spice

I wouldn't use human shampoo on cats. There are alot of things that are good for humans, but not for cats. There are shampoos just for cats. You can get it at any pet store or Walmart or Target. It's not expensive and you will rest knowing that it is approved for kitties. I got cat shampoo at Walmart and it works well.

Spice answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

I agree with Spice. Don't use human products on your cat without veterinarian approval. Cats' skin is different than human skin and some human shampoos are medicated too. Human shampoos are not meant to be used on cats and could cause problems with your cat. You can get shampoo especially for cats and kittens at Walmart, Shopko, or any pet store and they are usually inexpensive.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Coralie Grace

Human shampoo is too drying for their coat and skin. That is the reason why using a species specific shampoo is important. However if you're in a bind and your cat NEEDS a bath NOW (ie got into something, soiled itself etc) and you don't have the time or instant funds to go buy shampoo approved for cats some human shampoos are okay.

You don't want to use something medicated like for dandruff and steer clear of the shampoos that make promises (extra volume, extra shiny, etc) and stick to something very basic.

Use is VERY sparingly and don't use it often. If you plan to bathe your kitty regularly purchase shampoo specifically for your kitty.

Coralie Grace answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

cleo

A year ago, I had discovered a mother cat had kittens under my home. I trapped the kittens and they were full of fleas. I called a vet office and explained the situation and asked what could I use to get rid of the fleas on them because they were so young, they were not even walking yet. The vet advised to bath them in the original Dawn dish liquid which is the blue one. Has to be the original, not the other varieties of Dawn.. So I would think you could use that for an ocasionally.

cleo answered on 10/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer