Can I feed my cat chicken broth if he is sick?

My cat has a little cold and has been feeling under the weather. I know chicken broth always makes me feel better when I'm sick. I was wondering if I gave my cat some broth, if it would help him feel better.

Asked by Member 813761 on Mar 9th 2009 Tagged cat, sick, remedy in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

If you make it yourself and you just use chicken to make it, it would be fine to give to him. Canned has other things in it like seasoning and onions that would make it bad for him so you shouldn't feed him that. But it probably won't do him any good. It makes us feel better because you eat it hot and it smells good. But you can't feed it to a cat hot. I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating his cat food ok. Sometimes they won't eat if they can't smell. And if he starts to look like it's an infection or if he stops eating and seems lethargic, please call the vet.

Harvey

When I still cooked, I was a master soup maker. They don't sell canned chicken broth in Japan, so I discovered that you can make chicken broth from just boiling up a chicken or chicken parts (like, duh?). I myself use it as a cold remedy, and can't see anything wrong with giving a cool version to your cat.--assuming he'll drink it Generally, cats love boiled chicken to begin with. When my late great Boku went on a hunger strike after his sister died, I had to hand feed him boiled chicken for a few days until he went back to his regular food--otherwise he may well have died. But chicken soup is no substitute for real medical care. If your cat doesn't rally in a day or two, take him to the vet. My Harvey was looking a little bit under the weather over the weekend, but now is fine (no chicken soup involved). Please give your cat proper vet care. Cats have moods, but usually any sign of change in behavior requires a vet check.

Harvey answered on 3/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Atrus

It would probably not help and most likely be harmful.

If your cat is sick, he needs to see a vet before he gets any worse.

Chicken broth (store bought) is often made with vegetables or onions and garlic, which are toxic to cats. It also contains a ton of salt.

If you want to boil some chicken and then give it to him cut up in small bits with some of the water it cooked in, he may eat it. But it will probably not have the same therapeutic benefits as chicken soup to a human.

Atrus answered on 3/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi:

I found this question when I was researching chicken soup and cats. I was doing that to find out why the chicken soup I have been giving my 17 year old black kitty was making her fur so gorgeous. The vet cannot believe how good she looks since I started giving her 1/8 cup of chicken broth every day.

I started because she wasn't getting enough fluids. But then I realized that her coat, which had gotten very dry with dandruff, had become like black velvet.

Here is my recipe:

1/2 Amish chicken, broiler size.
Cover with water in a pot.
Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Chill overnight and remove fat. I have found it is better to leave a tiny bit, rather than remove it all.

Then I freeze in small containers. A 1 cup container will last for a week, at 1/8 C a day. Sometimes I give her more. She doesn't care if I heat it or not. I also freeze in smaller carryout containers, the kind restaurants use for sauce or salad dressing.

Yes you can - it's really good for them too esp if they've had a tummy upset as it rehydrates them - if you ad electrolites(sugars and a tiny bit of salts) - yes, just boil up the chicken carcas after you striped it of all you want - The vet actually sells this in bottled form under various brand names and charge a fortune! Save some money ad make your own - it's positively good for him... ;)x