Can cats climb up and down stairs?

Considering getting a cat, probably a javanese or siberian, the stairs in my home are steep and i'm just wondering if a cat will manage to go up and down without falling :)

Asked by Member 1075119 on Dec 4th 2011 Tagged stairs, siberian, javanese, climb, up, down, and, fall, falling in Breeds

Answers

YES! A normal healthy cat can easily climb up and down stairs, often clearing multiple steps at a time or even the entire staircase at once. They also might jump up to the stair rail and balance on that. You might find your cat on top of dressers, bookshelves, kitchen and bathroom countertops, the refrigerator. What may seem steep or high to us is often nothing to a cat. Jumping and climbing are among cats' greatest skills!

Harvey

No problemo, unless your cat is elderly and arthritic. In which case, make sure there is a litter box on every floor. My cats never cease to astound me at their ability to fly through the air!

Harvey answered on 12/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Oh yes! Stairs are absolutely NO problem for a normal healthy cat. Cats are extremely agile and athletic. Unless the cat is eldery and arthritic, or has a health issue that limits his mobility, he should have no problem with stairs. I had a blind cat (now at the Rainbow Bridge) and he had no problems with stairs either.

Good luck finding your kitten!

Bailey

I agree with everybody that stairs are no problem at all for a cat. I just wanted to add that they CAN be a problem for a tiny kitten so if you do plan to get a kitten and are not adopting an adult, please keep that in mind. When Bailey was a baby, she could manage the stairs just fine but not if she needed to go potty in a hurry. I had to keep a litterbox on each floor until she got old enough to remember every time where she was supposed to go and plan ahead well enough to get upstairs when she had to go.

Bailey answered on 12/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer