can a siamese be black

Asked by Member 965562 on Feb 24th 2010 Tagged breed in Siamese

Answers

ameigo kitty AKA GOgo

yes they can my ameigo was part siamese if you look hard enough you can see that his eyes are out lined with a blue tint his mother was simese his father was a big black cat but it the sun ameigo looked more of a redish RIP my baby boy

ameigo kitty AKA GOgo answered on 2/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

Pure bred siamese always have darker points (ears, muzzle, feet, tail) and the rest of their fur is usually a lighter creamy colour. There are various colours possible for the points.

Technically your cats breed is a "domestic short hair" which means a mixed breed cat with short fur. He could have a siamese grandparent etc which would acccount for him looking like a siamese cat. Siamese and siamese mixes are quite common so its not unusual for a cat to have kittens who either have some siamese features or colouring.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 2/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I was intrigued by your question, and did a brief Google search. Apparently there do seem to be some black Siamese. I'm not really up on my shorthair or colorpoint cats, but if you Google "black Siamese," you'll get some surprising information. At the very least, after black cats were purged during the middle ages in Europe, Siamese were later introduced into breeding programs designed to increase black moggies, which means that many black cats in Western countries may have Siamese genetic heritage. I had always thought that black, Asian looking cats were Oriental Shorthairs, but from my brief investigation, it SEEMS that there are black Siamese out there. Google "black Siamese" and you'll be as confused as I am. Have fun surfing the Internet! And hope that Allie steps in and gives some feedback.

Sorry...Allie is clueless on this one. I am better with Himmie info as it relates to the color points. Pad color, nose leather, etc. I can identify color points and I understand how all that works but I had to google this. The article I read says that technically the seal point siamese is a black cat but the Himalayan gene that causes the color points prevents the cat from being black.
www.cat
So I would imagine that a mutation of the gene could cause a siamese cat to have a black kitten. However, it is more likely that a black DSH just has some siamese heritage and came out with some of the characteristics of a siamese.

Purebred Siamese come in only four colors: seal, blue, chocolate, and lilac points. Colorpoint Shorthairs come in many other pointed colors including red, cream, and tortie points. Are you possibly thinking of Oriental Shorthairs? Ebony Oriental Shorthairs share a very similar confirmation to Siamese, but would be solid black. Oriental Shorthairs were developed to explore all the possibilities of color and pattern.