can a cat have weight loss from having fleas?

Asked by Member 902471 on Oct 18th 2009 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Fleas can cause intestinal parasites in cats which can cause weight loss if left untreated. The safe way to treat and eradicate worms is to take a sample of the cat's stool to the vet to have it tested. The vet can determine what sort of worm your cat has and prescribe the right treatment. You will also have to be very vigilant in getting rid of the fleas on your animals and in your home and your vet can also tell you how to do this and tell you what products to use. If your cat is experiencing sudden weight loss and you aren't sure why, you must get him/her to the vet for a check up.

Lazy

*bump* i was gonna post this question too! coz my 12 week old kitten has fleas and he seems like losing weight ...but hes always eating wet & dry food....

thanks for posting this question! =)

Lazy answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

I would just like to amend Izzy's statement about the stool sample. 99% of the time tape worm eggs to NOT show up in stool samples. The only way that they will see the eggs in the flotation is if they actually crush one of the segments in the sample. If your cat has tapeworm you will see the segments around the rectum. They are small and flat and look like grains of flat rice.

However if your cat goes outside he may have another intestinal parasite so a stool sample is still a good bet, especially if he has lost a significant amount of weight.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

One flea swallowed can give your cat or kitten tapeworms. When the flea gets digested the tapeworm hatches. In order for a cat to lose weight with tapeworms s/he must likely has a large number of worms.
When I first got my cat she had a case of tapeworms. Above poster mentioned they look like grains of rice but once these dry up they look like sesame seeds. To this day nothing is allowed in my house with sesame seeds...buns, bagels...it just freaks me out thinking of when she had tapeworms.
You need to take your cat to a vet and find out the reason for the weight loss, only then can you give proper treatment. While at the vet get your cat on a flea preventive.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, cats can lose weight from fleas. They get a flea anemia where they lose a lot of blood from the fleas feeding on them. She needs a Vet ASAP.