can a cat be allergic to fish.

my cat likes salmon,cooked people food, but then his ears develop a yeast problem.

Asked by Member 991679 on Aug 25th 2010 in Allergies

Answers

It's actually not uncommon for cats to be allergic to fish. And, it's not a really good idea to feed it to them anyway, especially as a steady diet. Once in a while, as a special treat, it's OK, but if your cat has an allergic reaction to it, it's probably a good idea to not feed it to him at all. I'd even avoid the canned cat food fish. Fish wet food can contain bones and cartilege which can aggravate kidney/bladder problems. And, in people food, "farm raised " fish can be fed antibiotics and all sorts of nasty stuff that can negatively affect your little guy. In addition, if your kitty is really addicted to people food, he may go on a hunger strike and refuse to eat his own food.

(My Angel) Colette

Oh yes, a cat can be allergic to fish or for that matter to many other things, both in its food and in its environment.

There are many kitties out there that have such intolerance for these substances that they have severe gastro-intestinal problems, extreme itchy skin conditions, and allergy-associated lesions.

If you suspect that your cat is allergic to something, the safest thing to do is to not feed it or keep him as far away as possible from an environmental allergen.

(My Angel) Colette answered on 8/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer