Ully

Calico and obesity?

A mommy’s friend told her that Calico kitten has tendency to be obese. Is it true? Do we have weight issues? Does anyone know anything about this subject?

Asked by Ully on Oct 17th 2011 Tagged calicoobesityobese in Obesity

Best Answer

Heidi

People like to make up stereotypes about different coat colors but most of them are unfounded and just based on personal experience with 2 or 3 cats. I'm calico and I'm skinny, my biological aunt Cali is chubby in the winter and average build in summer, and my adoptive sister Hillary is just a little chubby all year round. Our worst over eaters have all been brown tabbies but we've fostered skinny little brown tabbies. Genetics play a role in obesity- but not the genes that control our coat colors! The only coat color that really has potential for health effects is the solid white's link with deafness.

Having one copy of the black gene and one copy of the orange gene won't make you fat, mean, or grouchy- all things we've heard said about calicos or tortieshells! For that matter being orange tabby doesn't make you a genius, being black doesn't make you super friendly, and being grey doesn't make you a great athlete. Every cat is a unique individual and should be treated as such!

Heidi answered on Oct 18th.

Answers

Heidi is right, even if she sounds a bit grumpy. The ONLY way a cat can become obese is if it's overfed. Blaming it on fur color or breed is like saying that all red-heads have bad tempers and every person who wears glasses is a geek/nerd. If you want to make sure your kitties don't have issues with being overweight, monitor their diet, vet them regularly and play with them to make sure they get exercise and don't eat from boredom. purrs!