Gris,Kira&Lucy

bump on my cat's head near the ear

we just adopted another cat, this will be our 5th. He has been neutered and dewormed during the last two weeks, he is still in the process of introduction to our older cats, after two nasty fights he engaged with the old male, we decided to keep him in a different area of the house so that they won't have any more chance to fight. However, after a week of their last fight we notice that he's got a big bump on his head near the ear. Now it is leaking. Our vet will come to check on him tomorrow morning, so until then I was wondering if you have any ideas of what could it be this bump and how to treat it.

Asked by Gris,Kira&Lucy on May 31st 2012 in Skin Problems

Answers

A cats claws are not very sanitary things when you think about what they do their feet. Chances are that your new cat has an infection near his ear that will need to be treated with antibiotics. As long as he is not in terrific pain, there is nothing you can or should do without the advice and approval of your vet. Don't touch the wound or try to medicate him. If it bothers you and doesn't bother him, you can dab the area with a cotton ball moistened with warm water, but wait for the advice of your vet for further treatment.

Sheba

It might be a swollen lymph node, so I would take him to the vet, but it might be a scat. I found a lump at the base of one of our cats tail, but that turned out to be a scab!

Sheba answered on 6/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer