Bringing young kitten,not FIV, FeLV tested to house w/ existing older cats?

Hi -- We are adopting a kitten that is 2 months old. Mom is healthy, father unknown. We have two, healthy adult cats already. Since testing really is pointless until about 4 months of age (to avoide false positives), what do we do about bringing her in to a home with cats already? If our cats are up-to-date is there nothing to worry about? We're concerned about having a kitten that might be unhealthy, but not knowing for months until she's tested and meanwhile she's in the house with our existing cats.

Asked by Member 1143337 on Dec 2nd 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

In my years with animal rescue, I must admit I never heard that a kitten shouldn't be tested for these diseases until it's 4 months old. We had our vets test our rescues as soon as we could and I am not aware of any "false" positives or negatives. Even cats who are healthy can be infected with these diseases and there is no vaccination against them that is 100% trustworthy. These diseases can be spread through contact with the saliva of the infected cat or kitten or by using the same litter box. If it were me, I would not put myself through 8 more weeks of worry. I would establish the new kitten with my vet as soon as I could and have her tested. You can also chat with them at that time about the best way for a peaceful introduction to your resident cats.