Hazel Basil

Bringing an older cat home to a younger resident cat

I currently have a 2 year old cat and thought I should get her a companion since when we adopted her she had a buddy and we think she might be lonley. We looked through the classifieds and found a female cat that is 6 years old. We really want to adopt her and will be doing that in a few days. However, I need to know if the introduction process is different with the older car being the new cat and the younger one being the resident cat. And if so what is that process? Thanks!

Asked by Hazel Basil on Jan 2nd 2012 Tagged introduction, socialization, newcat in Socialization

Answers

remy

i am the mother of 5 beautiful felines & the quickest way to resolve this problem is to go to petco & purchase some calming spray !!!!! cats start hissing & generally being vocal when they smell strange smells off of new animals . if u spray all the cats down w/ the calming spray they all smell the same & now have a better chance of being friends !!!!! let me know how it turns out !!!! remy's mom :)

remy answered on 1/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Remy is right, if the calming spray works,but introducing 2 cats is a little more complicated. When you bring the new cat in, you must keep her separated from the resident cat. Put her in her own room with the door closed and a litter pan, food and a few toys. Visit her as often as possible. When I brought Lizzie home, I would go into the room and just sit there until she came up to me. I didn't hassel her or try to pick her up for snuggles. When I saw my other 2 cats showing interest in Lizzie's room, I just opened the door. There was some chasing, hissing and growling, but now they all get along really well. I have to caution you that if the new cat has never been around other cats, it will be more difficult. And since your RC has been the only lonely for a while, you'll need to take things slow. If there is down dirty fighting, you'll need to start the intro process again. Make sure both cats are vetted and spayed. Make sure they each have their own litter box and food dishes.

Cali

It's really not a huge age difference and the introductions should be the same as any. Start out with isolation, new kitty gets a private room, and when new kitty is comfortable with you in her little room start slowly exchanging smells, positive reinforcement, and very slowly working up to face-to-face supervised visits until they are getting along.

Calming sprays and/or diffusers can be very helpful, but the most popular and scientifically backed spray, Feliway Comfort Zone, is NOT meant to be directly applied to animals (it contains alcohol which is very unpleasant to animals until it dissipates)- just their bedding, door frames, and furniture in places a happy, carefree cat would normal rub on with their cheeks. The synthetic happy-pheromones trick them in to being happier and marking with their own authentic happy pheromones, making everyone feel more comfortable and open to making new friends. There are herbal sprays, too, but it's up to you how much faith you put in those.

Cali answered on 1/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer