Henry (1996-2010)

Best inexpensive vacuum for cat hair

My Bissel Cleanview vacuum has died after only 2 years, and I need a new vacuum. I have a budget of around $150. What do you recommend for a house with 3 cats, 2 with short hair, and one with long, and one blond human (me) with very long hair?

I prefer a bagged one, because I hated cleaning all the filters of last bagless one I had.

Oh, and I'd like it to last longer than a couple years.

Asked by Henry (1996-2010) on Apr 2nd 2009 Tagged vacuum, hair, cleaning in Grooming

Answers

Unfortunately inexpensive, long life and good with pet hair don't seem to come in the same package. Mine is a Dyson Animal but it's bagless and they are expensive. But I've had it about 4 years with no loss of suction. (I have one dog that sheds and 5 long haired cats) It works awesome. Prior to the Dyson, I just had the dog and I still went through the less expensive vacuums at the rate of about one a year. Good luck with your search!

Trixy

I know you said you don't like the bagless but I have the Eureka Bagless Optima. It is a lightweight vaccum with a hose and attachments. It has the same power as my huge heavy vaccums have had. It is a great vaccum that I have had for 3 years now and I have one cat, 2 dogs that shedd like there is no tomorrow, and 4 humans here three have long hair. It picks everything up without a problem. It was only around $40-$50 at Walmart. It is just a thought, but I have been very impressed with it.

Trixy answered on 4/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm convinced it's not the vacuum but how often you use it. Not to say you are a lousy housekeeper, but there are times with 6 animals that I have to vacuum twice a day! I have a cheap-o Dirt Devil, but it has a hose and a little power brush attached right to it. It's new right now and does a great job except the dirt cup has to be emptied every time I use it. I love having the attached hose that I can just whip out and do the corners and steps. I also have a $1300 Kirby that I'd like to airmail through the window. The belt is ALWAYS breaking and it's impossible for me to replace. It's sitting in the closet right now with a broken belt. I also have a small Shop-Vac that cost about $30.00 that is GREAT for cat litter but doesn't have wheels on the canister so has to be carried. It also does an awesome job on pet hair.

Mine is a Bissel Lift Off Revolution - Pet Edition. About in your price range, but bagless. If you empty it every time you vacuum, it's not so bad to clean.

Gracie

When our bag vacuum showed signs of senility (we haven't thrown it away yet, husband somehow can't part with it) we bit the bullet and bought a Roomba. It's a little more expensive than some other vacuums, but it does a great job of keeping our place clean. It's easy to clean (albeit given the amount we shed, that means it needs to be cleaned very often), and most importantly, it needs no lifting or dragging, and minimal supervision. Mom says this frees her to do other housework, so she finishes cleaning in half the time. It even is programmed to go back to its battery charger on its own when it runs out of charge.

Bonus: Boris and I think it's a cat, and are not as scared of it as we were with the regular vacuum. We follow it around, hoping it will play with us, but so far we've only figured out its hobbies are eating dirt, and humping the bike tire. Go figure.

Gracie answered on 4/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cherry

Hi,
I have the Bissel Powerforce Vacuum the Upright model (cost me arnd $40 in 2006). I have been using it for the past 3 years and I have 1 medium hair and 1 long haired cat. This is very effective in removing pet hair. The reason being
1.However expensive the vacuum is, if we dont use it often there is no use!. So I use it every week. Keeps my home spotless.
2. Morevoer, there is a height adjustment knob, once you keep it in low, the brush deep cleans the carpet. Earlier I did not know that and kept it on high and the vacuum used to glide over the carpet and it did not clean well. Then after i changed it to low, it became quite tough (did not glide that easily) but it deepcleans.
I test my house after vaccum session like this.
After completing weekly vacuuming, Take a black trousers(full length) and wear it and walk around the house, if you see no hair on it, your job is done! if the cleaning wasnt gud u will see hair at the bottom. I love my vacuum, its cheap and best.

Cherry answered on 4/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer