Best carrier for two large cats

We have two Siberians and would like to be able to take them both to the vet at the same time. I am trying to find a carrier that will fit them both, that I can carry down two flights of stairs, and fits in the back seat of the car. The cats get along very well but are or will eventually be large - about 16 lbs each. Please suggest specific brands/size of carriers as my searches so far have been frustrating.

Asked by Member 1003910 on Sep 12th 2010 Tagged carrier, large in Carriers

Answers

Because your kitties could eventually weigh close to 32 pounds together, any carrier you get would have to be one that doesn't require lifting. I've seen kitty 'strollers' at PetsMart which could be big enough for a short trip to the vet. Since the kitties get along, you could put them in there together. When I was transporting kittens to the vet, I can tell you that lifting six kittens in a carrier was very difficult so it's best to look for a carrier on wheels. I'm sure they're out there. Keep googling pet accessory sites and I'm sure you'll find a suitable one. If not, then, like me, you'll just have to take your kitties in separate carriers.

Gogo

You are probably better off getting 2 regular sized carriers. I've had to take 4 cats to the vets for shots and although you can get 2 large adult cats (27 pound combined weight in my case) in a larger carrier it is difficult to carry. Since you just have the 2 large cats and have to go up/ down stairs I'd just get 2 normal sized plastic carriers and it'll be much easier with one in each hand and you won't need anything special.

Gogo answered on 9/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Harvey

When I take my cats to cat shows (using public transportation), I put them in those hard plastic carriers that are approved for airline (cargo) use. I use a metal luggage carrier with wheels, and place one carrier above the other, securing them with a sturdy elastic cord. This is fine for train travel, but in the case of stairs, I have to undo the whole thing and take each cat in its carrier down separately. If the cats are on the smallish size, however, I may put them in a larger carrier together, although I still use the luggage carrier. SturdiProducts offers a variety of soft-sided carriers and shelters. They are pretty and used by a lot of cat breeders and cat show enthusiasts, but are quite expensive.

Harvey answered on 9/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Reebok

The Avior pet carrier is roomy and placing cats in them is much easier due to the design. It's also lightweight. Or you can get a regular carrier and a backpack carrier. We also have a Samsonite backpack carrier though that particular brand seems to be hard to find now.

Reebok answered on 9/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nathanial Patrick

I agree with the others about getting 2 separate carriers. I made the mistake years ago with just getting one for 2 cats. I and they both found that the carrier was so heavy that they ended up getting banged around much more, both because of the size of the carrier and the weight. Plus, my exhaustion & stress level from trying to carry the thing around was incredible. When I do take my furkids out together, I put their cages in the car with their doors facing each other, so they still know that the other babe is there. And I ALWAYS make sure they are buckled in. However, if you do decide to get a large carrier, BEWARE! I got a very large cat one that said it would handle the weight load, but the 1st time I put them in it, the plastic broke in half & cats went flying. I then went & got a dog carrier, making sure the plastic it was made of was MUCH thicker.
Cat carriers are made in bigger & bigger sizes, but they don't make them out of any stronger plastic. Be safe...Be kind

Nathanial Patrick answered on 12/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Sam

I'm sorry but I have to agree on two separate carriers unless you do find a big enough stroller to fit down your stairs. As two cats in one large container would be very very heavy especially one strong enough to handle them both. And a car that resembles an ambulance, and the carrier a gurney.

I have heard of and it almost happened to me where I put two cats in the one large container. (I thought it was strong (it was a voyager)) they shifted their weight close to the door and it was enough to buckle the plastic and the door almost flew open. I have heard of cats going missing from the vets for this same problem.

I now hold the door every time I have to have two in the carrier which is awkward. I also suggest two to be safe.

♥Sam answered on 1/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sorry but I also would side with getting two separate carriers for them. Like someone said earlier, 32 lbs plus the weight of the carrier itself will not be fun to carry. I would think it would be easier carrying one carrier per arm. I can see how it is frustrating to find something as most portable carriers only fit pets up to about 20 lbs. I was searching recently for a soft cat carrier for airline use online and I found a few brands you might want to consider (Sherpa, Argo, Sturdi, and Kobi Pets). Good Luck!