Foxy

At what age should I get my kitty shots, neutered, and declawed?

My kitty is a little over a month old. At what age would you recommend I get her vaccinations, her neutered, and her front claws delawed?

Asked by Foxy on Aug 18th 2009 in Vaccinations

Answers

Kittens need their FVRCP vaccine at around 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Rabies vaccine at 16 weeks. Your vet can recommend when to spay her based on her size but my vet does 5 months or 5 pounds. And I would not recommend that you declaw her at all because it is cruel and unneccesary. www.declawing.com Cats can be trained to claw appropriately by supplying them with a proper cat tree and showing them how to use it. Her claws can just be trimmed regularly.

Foxy is SOOO cute!

You should take her to the vet very soon to start her rounds of kitten shots and deworming. Kitten shots come in stages so you'll go a few times before she's fully vaccinated.

My vet generally spays at around 4 months, but check with your vet about specifics. Each vet has different guidelines, and of course, every cat is different.

Declawing is not a popular subject at Catster. Lots of people are very against it. I personally decided not to declaw Oscar and it's worked out okay. He has gotten to a couple of my tables, but he's never touched a couch cushion or anything like that. The trick is having lots of appropriate things to scratch and correcting bad behavior immediately. A squirt gun is a great tool for that.

♥ Tasha ♥

Declawing is not without complication. The rate of complication is relatively high compared with other so-called routine procedures. Complications of this amputation can be excruciating pain, damage to the radial nerve, hemorrhage, bone chips that prevent healing, painful regrowth of deformed claw inside of the paw which is not visible to the eye, and chronic back and joint pain as shoulder, leg and back muscles weaken.
Some cats are so shocked by declawing that their personalities change. Cats who were lively and friendly have become withdrawn and introverted after being declawed. Others, deprived of their primary means of defense, become nervous, fearful, and/or aggressive, often resorting to their only remaining means of defense, their teeth. In some cases, when declawed cats use the litterbox after surgery, their feet are so tender they associate their new pain with the box...permanently, resulting in a life-long adversion to using the litter box. Other declawed cats that can no longer mark with their claws, they mark with urine instead resulting in inappropriate elimination problems, which in many cases, results in relinquishment of the cats to shelters and ultimately euthanasia. Many of the cats surrendered to shelters are surrendered because of behavioral problems which developed after the cats were declawed.
The veterinary justification for declawing is that the owner may otherwise dispose of the cat, perhaps cruelly. It is ethically inappropriate, in the long term, for veterinarians to submit to this form of moral blackmail from their clients

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 8/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Gracie

I think you have been given very good advice about not declawing your kitty. I will add one thing that no one has mentioned yet:

a cat's first line of defense is to use their claws. Cats who have lost their claws and do not feel secure for whatever reason will resort to biting instead. The only declawed kitty I know (who came to my sister in law as already declawed by a previous owner) is very sweet, but she will bite when she feels threatened by humans (needless to say, she sometimes doesn't feel particularly trusting of them).

A cat's biting is a much worse problem than them having claws. Sure they can scratch people during play and they might leave marks on the furniture. But a cat bite on any body part will require a visit to the ER 95% of the time, as bites from any mammals can be very infectious.

I'd take the inconvenience of a cat's intact claws any day over the risk of being bitten and potentially having a life threatening infection to deal with.

Gracie answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

sumi

I know this debate is a volatile one, but I must ask you please not to declaw your cat. It is illegal in my country and most of Europe, and in my opinion should be illegal worldwide. Some others here have given links to information that may shock you on this issue.

sumi answered on 8/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with most people about getting the claws removed; However, sometimes it is needed. NEVER take the back claws away front only. That is there defense. Yes they do bite if they don't have front claws, but people only end up in the hospital if they are torturing the poor thing until it bites them, and at that point it's deserved. Also I'm having my cats claws removed. Not because he claws couches and stuff like that, cause I really don't care. It's because he was a newly born kitten when we found him on the street and attacks for the fun of it (he's much older now) We have used spray bottles and a lot of other things as punishment and he refuses to acknowledge that it is wrong. We have come to this agreement because some cats just don't understand. Let me tell you a cat claw in your eye when you sleep is not a good thing, so it is needed.
However, if your cat isn't one to use claws all the time and has toys like mine does, and he doesn't hurt you keep his claws, happy cats are fun