at what age can a cat have a baby?

Asked by Member 391067 on Dec 18th 2007 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Domino

The vet said I was only 4 months old when my owner found me living on the streets as a stray, but I gave birth to 2 kittens a few weeks later, so I know it is very possible for young cats to have litters. I was an awful mom cause I resented having to take care of kittens when I was so young! Spay/neuter your cats as soon as you can, because being a teenage mom is not healthy or fun for your kitty!

Domino answered on Dec 18th.

Answers

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22)

A female kitten can go into heat as early as 4 months old and get pregnant, but cat should be at least 1 year old to have a litter. As there are so many unwanted kittens and cats in shelters I feel that every cat should be spayed and neutered (unless they they are a purebred, pedigreed cat in a licensed breeding program and excellent representatives of their breed standard). Please have your cat spayed if she is not already.

Mickey (Angel Dreamboat #22) answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Hufflepuff

I agree w/ the first answer! She absolutely can get pregnant as early as 4 months! Even though she is capable of getting pregnant it is NOT advisable to let this happen. She is still growing and having kittens could be problematic. Not to mention that there are already too many kitties looking for forever homes. Please talk to your vet about having her spayed.

Hufflepuff answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Cosmo

I foster cats for the ASPCA. My cats Cosmo and Panda came from a mother who was less than 6 months old. She was very sick after she had her 6 kittens and it took a long time to get her healthy. We see cats between 4-7 months old pregnant with their first litter and many of them die or their kittens die. It is heartbreaking and so cruel. PLEASE spay and neuter your cats. It is important for them to have a long happy life.

Cosmo answered on 12/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer