Are American Bobtails illegal in Saskatchewan, Canada?

I've tentatively just moved to Saskatchewan only to find out that I may very well be illegal in this province.
The problem I'm now facing is that I require a little more space and attention than my Dad is currently able to provide to me now that he's been accepted into an apprenticeship he's been chasing for the last few years.
And with me potentially being an outlaw, we're not sure how, or if we even can, go about finding me a good home.
Any ideas?

Asked by Member 558883 on Jan 16th 2008 Tagged americanbobtail, saskatchewan in Other Laws & Legislation

Best Answer

Morgana - forever my soul

Fincar, you're just fine & not at all illegal. I hate to say this but the person who told this to your Dad isn't too bright. I'm sure the person confused you with a bobcat, a true wild cat that IS illegal to own in Saskatchewan. I live in Canada & know this. I'm in BC now (my original home) but lived on the Prairies for a while. Outside of the bigger cities, many aren't aware or educated about things outside their farming communities.

A decent vet will be able to give you certification to your legality & show proof you're not a wild or mixed-wild breed but a purebreed cat. American Bobtails are a relatively new breed so some may not have heard of your breed before. But anyone looking at you will be able to tell you're all cat - & a very cute one too!

Could Dad make arrangements to see you on weekends still & perhaps take you back after his apprenticeship? Sometimes, a foster cat-parent will willing accept a cat till the owner can take them back. I was happy to do this for one kitty!

Morgana - forever my soul answered on Jan 16th.

Answers

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you

Hi. I found nothing about them being illegal in saskatchewan on a google search.

I'm wondering if whoever told you they were illegal, thought what i did at first, that you meant "bobcat", which are wild, and therefore illegal.

if your cat is just the bobtail cat, and not the wild cat, then you are fine. :-)

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you answered on 1/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer