Pogo

any cat toy ideas?

My cat is 3 years old and has a bad cut on his leg so he is limping any toys that would only use his paw?

Asked by Pogo on Feb 24th 2008 Tagged toys in Toys

Best Answer

Boris

I would get him one of those starchaser toys. You know, the toy that is basically a round plastic platform with a ball that lights up on its track, and a scratchpost in the middle. Mom says I am fond of sitting next to it and just twacking the ball with my paws. It goes round and round, and I try to get it out of that darn thing, but never can. I can do this for 5-10 minutes straight, which in kitty attention span is a long time.

Mom also has had some luck with me playing swat the feather by placing my cat tree near our couch, and batting a feather wand near the top platform. I go sit there and wait for the feather to get near, then I reach out with my forepaw and smack it. Again, this is something I can do for 5-10 minutes straight before I get bored.

The above works for me, but it's probably because I am growing a bit lazy as I'm maturing. If your kitty is a chaser, he might not respond as well, since he probably really wants to run, but it is worth a try.

Boris answered on Feb 25th.

Answers

Tinker Bell 2003-2006

A little ball.

Tinker Bell 2003-2006 answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm not sure what it's called, but it's a round tube that is open in the middle and on the edges, and inside is a ping-pong ball that your kitty can chase around. The ball doesn't come out. Kitty has been to the vet for the cut, right?

Skuya

Oh, Pogo is cute! Hope he's all better soon!
Some of these ideas are from- 51 ways to Entertain your Housecat, by Stephanie Laland.
-Put a few walnuts, still in their shells, in an empty Kleenex box & tape the opening shut. Cut a paw-size hole in the side, (big enough for him to get the nuts out), in the side. You could also put some treats or any sm. toy/s inside. Shake to draw his attention. He may spend hours getting everything out.
-Wrap a curly telephone cord back & forth between a very sturdy table or chair legs, (something to do with your old corded phone!). Kitties love the "spring".
Also, any dangle toy, minus the stick, tied to a door-knob. Don't leave string toys unattended, or can cover with aquarium tubing.
Not toys, but fun-
-Play recordings of birdcalls, can find in library or stores.
-Move a table, buffet table or dresser, (cover with a piece of carpet, blanket, etc. and a chair beside for easy access), so kitty can have a view out the window for entertainment.

Skuya answered on 2/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A CATNIP MOSE TOY OR A PALY HOSE OR A LITTLE LIGHT!

Poe

Luckily, there are lots of toys offered today that will allow a cat to just rollover and play. Most pet stores will offer a variety of toys that will hang on your door knob and allow your cat to bat away at them. Another thing my cat loves is called the Cat Track toy. It is just a plastic ball inside a plastic track that they can bat around. Chaucer loves it because he can just lay on the bed and play with it...minimal movement involved! It is hard to think of anything that won't involve the use of his legs too much. You might also consider the use of a toy called the kitten mitten. That could prove to make minimal use of his legs. I hope he gets to feeling better!

Poe answered on 2/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Garfield

a ping pong ball or a foil ball would be good

Garfield answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer