Another question on 11 year old cat accepting 9 month old kitten

Thanks for answering my question Izzie. I appreciate it. We're serioulsy considering taking Sophie back to the foster home, though she is not the problem in this situation (Gracie is) and we've become quite attached to Sophie. The foster mom said the hissing/swatting behavior should not still be going on 2 months later. Sophie definitely wants to be friends with Gracie and it's heartbreaking to see her hissed and swatted at every time. I feel like both cats are pretty unhappy right now. Gracie hates the newcomer and Sophie wants cat companionship.
I guess it was unrealistic of us to expect our older cat to be interested in such a younger cat. But since Gracie had a cat companion before, we thought she'd be okay with another cat. Wrong!
Sophie is pretty much a laid back kitten, so she's not antagonizing Gracie. She doesn't hiss back at Gracie at all.
My husband thinks that Gracie just doesn't know what to do in this situation, as the male cat we had before was the dominant cat.

Asked by Member 960949 on Feb 10th 2010 Tagged anotherquestiononyearoldcatacceptingmontholdkitten in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

The same thing happened with me, my two female kittens were here first. Then we adopted a male kitten and when brought him one of female kittens ( Nellie) took to him right away but our kitten (Alexis) didnt. Everytime he would rub against her she would swat him and hiss. We gave her time to adujst to him. Now they get along just fine. There is an adjustmen period in some cats it takes longer.

I'm so sorry that you are considering taking Sophie back. Please make sure the foster home knows that it was just a situation where your 2 kitties didn't get along and that there is no problem with Sophie. If you are set on having another cat, you may want to go to a shelter or call the rescue and describe what happened with Sophie. Ask if they think Gracie would have the same reaction to an older, more dominant cat. It seems Gracie just wasn't up to the task of socializing a "kid". Again, I am so sorry it didn't work out.

Kashi

You might consider trying to get a male kitten rather than a female. Females can be very temperamental towards other females. I have 4 cats, soon to be 5 and had problems from my other female cats when I would introduce a female to them but they didn't mind nearly as much when it was a male.

Kashi answered on 2/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer