Ziggy

Am i part siberian?

Hi, my name is ziggy and my mommy is wondering if i am part siberian. I have gotten fluffier since she adopted me almost a year ago, i am facinated by water and i am very dog like. but i also show the "m" on my forehead that the main coon has. Could you give me any clues to find out what breed i am? thanks

Asked by Ziggy on Sep 19th 2010 Tagged siberian, maincoon in Siberian

Answers

I don't mean to sound like a smarty-pants, but only the Great Cat knows for certain exactly which breeds of cats are sitting on the limbs and branches of your family tree. For years, I thought Delilah was Maine Coon because that's what was on her adoption card at PetSmart. It's only in the past year, since pawmailing another Catster member that I've realized she's probably a Persian Mix! The "M" on a cat's forehead is not exclusive to Maine Coon's btw, even though Izzie has one. The fable is that in the manger, the Christ Child was crying because He was cold. A barn kitty jumped into His cradle and lay down on Him, keeping Him warm and stopping his crying. The Blessed Mother was so grateful, she touched the little kitty's head and marked it with an "M" for Mary. In any case, you can visit the Cat Fancier's website at www.cfainc.org and check out the breeds there. Ziggy is GORGEOUS!

Lucy

I agree with Izzie on the "M" not being exclusive to Maine Coon cats. The M is actually the marking of a tabby pattern cat. My Lucy is a red and white tabby Persian and she has the M. It is more likely that Ziggy would be a Maine Coon mix though because Siberian breeders usually sell kittens with a spay/neuter contract and they are not very common in the U.S. so they are less likely to get mixed into the Moggie (or mixed breed) population. Anything is possible though. Here is the breed profile for the Siberian. www.cfa.org

Lucy answered on 9/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Harvey

Most cats don't have a "breed" the way a dog does. Technically, your very handsome Ziggy is a domestic medium hair, and I would classify his coloration as cream tabby. I wouldn't say "cream tabby and white" because tabbies are allowed to have a bit of white around their muzzles and chins; if they have a white bib, tummy, and feet, then they are "tabby and white." "Fascinated by water" is trait that seems to be hard-wired into all Maine Coons, and Ziggy looks like he has some Maine Coon in him. His facial shape seems to have elements of both Maine Coon and plain old generic housecat. Actually, he looks a lot like my Maine Coon Harvard (purebred--I bred him myself, so I can vouch for his authenticity as to genetic heritage). On the other hand, Harvard (no photo available yet, sorry) doesn't really look like a MC. As Izzie says, the M on the forehead is a tabby trait. Many but not all MCs are tabbies, so many MCs have Ms on their foreheads. Many non-MC tabbies have Ms as well.

Harvey answered on 9/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Snickers

well hello cutie, It is hard to put a breed to a mixed bred cat. as many blood lines flow through these types of cats, but You to me look like You do have Maincoon in You with Domestic short Hair Tabby also may have abit of Hymalayan in You. That famular M is a trade mark for the maincoon but my Snickers has double M on her forehead an she is siamese and Domestic Shorthair tabby. smiles hoping this helps.

Snickers answered on 9/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer