Am I doing the right thing to deal with aggressive behaviour?

I have a 4 year old spayed female inside cat who has suddenly become very aggressive. About a week ago a neighbour outside cat (neutered male) who my cat hates was in my front yard and brushed up against my legs. When I came into the house my cat went nuts-hissing, growling and lashing at my feet. I left her alone for the rest of the day and she seemed to calm down. 3 days later my cat jumped up on the kitchen table. When I tried to gently move her off, she became extremely aggressive again. I tried to ignore her and give her space, but she would follow me from room to room trying to attack me. I took her to the vet and he gave her a clean bill of health. He suggested I put her in a room by herself and let her calm down. She has been there ever since (with food, water, litter) but continues to hiss at me whenever I open the door to give her food etc. I bought feliway diffuser and spray and have been using for 3-4 days. Am I doing the right thing? How long do I leave her?

Asked by Member 1025308 on Mar 4th 2011 Tagged aggressivebehaviour in Behavior & Training

Answers

Dahlia

What your describing may very not be behavioral at all. You stated that this change in behavior was rather sudden. Cats do not show pain in the way that we humans think they should. They don't lie around, moaning, grasping their bellies (lol). Instead, they usually change habits and these changes can even be very slight. Their appetitite may change, they may sleep more often, they may become more vocal, or they may become agressive. Agression is actually one of the more common defaults for a cat that is not feeling well or is in pain. An exam and a simple blood test by your vet can let you know if there is anything going on. It is important to rule out a medical cause as soon as possible so that she doesn't suffer unnecessarily, and so that you can have your old kitty back too.

Dahlia answered on 3/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You don't say what sort of exam the vet performed, but she may need a more intensive physical than what she was given. Assuming that all is truly OK with her physically, you may want to make sure that this neigbor cat is not hanging around your yard. This can result in what "they" call "misplaced aggression", meaning your cat wants to fight with the intruder but since she can't get to it, she picks you instead. I'm not certain that isolating her in a room is such a good idea unless she is truly a danger to you. In that case, she absolutely needs to go back to her vet and you need to be very frank with them and tell them that although they gave her a clean bill of health, SOMETHING is going on and you all need to find out what. Perhaps it is something else going on in your lifestyle that's causing her to "freak out". It may be something that you might be able to discover by speaking with your vet. Sudden changes in cat's behavior don't happen for no reason.