All black male cat and biting

We adopted an all black male cat 3 weeks ago he's about 9 months and is sweet...when he wants to be. He loves to cuddle but he's got 2 problems that I find to be troubling. 1. He's obsessed with our counters/sink and human food he wants to eat what we are and 2. He is aggressive during play and even after. Like tonight he was down stairs playing and I walked down to use the bathroom and go back to bed he follows me up pretends to cuddle the attacks my arm like hard and bad I have teeth puncture marks and claw marks. I love this little guy he for the most part fits in here ( he love to watch us play video games and cartoons so he's just like us!) how to I correct this behavior??

Asked by Member 1157464 on Feb 28th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I'm thinking that someone played aggressively with him while he was a younger kitten and now he thinks it's ok to play like that. I think it can be changed. You have to teach him that it is not ok to bite and scratch you and NEVER rough play with him, I've seen those gloves that you can buy to protect your hand...and it's sort of a cat toy, and that just encourages them to rough play and hurt you. When he starts, tell him a firm NO. When he does it again, get a squirt bottle and squirt him with water and again the firm NO. He will learn. I've had so much success with the squirt bottle to keep my kitten off the counter and other things he is into. Do NOT play with him while he is in attack mode. Maybe even put him up if he continues to attack and stop playing with him immediately when he starts this behavior. My daughter thinks it's fun to rough play with her kitten and he is to the point your cat is and now she regrets it because it hurts when they are bigger and they bite and scratch!

Beep is right. Your cat is still a kitten and needs to be trained about what is acceptable. You must be consistent. NEVER hit or shriek at him. Watch him to see how he acts just before he "attacks". Izzie swats me with his paw, claws out and then bites. His ears go back, his eyes get huge and his fur puffs up. I tell him "NO BITE". I agree that a squirt bottle can help, but if it is over-used, it will no longer have any effect. I use one on my dogs but I never spray them in the face, just over their heads. I also use a soda can with a few pennies taped inside and shake it while saying a firm "NO!" Make sure that no one else uses their hands or feet to tease or play. As Beep said, when the cat gets older and bigger, his play/attacks won't be appreciated, especially by older people or little kids.