Aggressive play, does my cat need playmate?

My cat is 3 years old and very active and playful. Recently her playing has become much more aggressive (biting, jumping, screaming), but I genuinely think she does this to get attention from us and to be loved on and her face rubbed. I think she might be getting bored and wants to play all of the time when we are home. She will wake us up at night and when we see she has food/water all she wants is to play. She isn't very nice to the cats at my parents house because they are lazy and don't like to play. I'm starting to wonder if I should get another cat she can play with or even a kitten she can "take care of"?

Asked by Member 1149140 on Jan 9th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Psy

It sounds like she could be bored. You could try getting her some toys that she can play with by herself when you're gone. If you do decide to get another cat make sure you get one who's activity level and personality is a good match for your cat. If she is okay with dogs a small dog might even be a good playmate for her, if it's the right dog. I know Psy really enjoy rough housing with her puppy.

Psy answered on 1/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pay special attention to the way you play with your cat. Are the playtimes very intense and crazy? A friend of mine used to take the feather teaser pole and just whip it around like mad. His cat was so worked up and hyperactive after those playtimes she would bite and claw at you if you even came near her before she calmed down. As Psy said, if you decide to get another cat, go to a reputable shelter and answer all their questions about your lifestyle and your current cat. They know their cats and will be able to adivse you not only on the best cat for you to adopt, but also how to introduce the two cats.