Dante

Aggressive cat

My 5 year old cat Dante is very aggressive. He growls and trys to claw even if you just pick him up (carefully) .. He wasn't like this when we first got him, at 8 weeks old when he was found on the side of a road, we adopted him. As he got bigger he has gotten more and more mean. He acts very jealous too for no reason as i am very good to both of my cats. He gets everything he would need yet still acts mean to me. Especially me - he is a bit nicer to my boyfriend (who lives with me.) He will hiss loudly and growl loudly at me even if i pick him up. He tends to only want to eat, and cause trouble! He sometimes will poop on the kitchen floor as well....Not sure what to do.

Asked by Dante on Oct 20th 2011 in Aggression

Answers

Dante sounds like a very territorial and aggressive kitty. Firstly, if he is not neutered, you MUST have this done. While you are at the vet's, have Dante throughly examined. Vets can handle an aggressive cat, so don't worry about that. If Dante were mine, I would actively ignore him. Vet him, feed him, clean his box and leave him alone. Don't try to pick him up, even carefully, as he may bite and claw and cat injuries are nothing to food around with--they can get infected very easily. You can try things like Feliway plug ins and kitty prozac from the vet. Your vet is the best one to advise you on how to work with Dante so both you are your cat can get along.