Biscuit

Afraid of abandonment??

My Biscuit is a very social cat. She MUST have attention. I'm going on vacation soon for 4 days or so, and I'm terribly afraid she'll be lonesome. She has another cat with her, but she's not that friendly.. I plan on calling her and leaving her messages on the answering machine (where she usually is so that she can hear me,) and turning on a t.v. on animal planet, but I don't want her to think I'm gone. :( I can't afford and neither do I want to put her in an animal home because they won't give her attention, either and I'd rather be at home where she's familiar to her surroundings. I've got all of the basics with food and litterboxes covered... but does anyone have any extra advice with any ways to let her know I'm not gone and give her 'attention?'
P.S. Our neighborhood isn't great and I don't have any friend that I trust to be in my house to come visit her.
Thanks so much in advance.
x-dori & biscuit. :]

Asked by Biscuit on Aug 8th 2009 in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

Biscuit would prefer that you hired a pet sitter! Find one that is bonded and insured (for your protection, as well as the sitters) and has references. It is recommended that you have one visit for each day you will be absent so your pet will get the attention she needs.

You can find one at any of the following links:
www.petsits.com (click on Find a Pet Sitter)
www.petsit.com
www.petsitters.org

Good luck Dori!

Sandra in Florida

Hunter

4 days is a long time without having someone checking on the cats. You should have someone come over once a day to play with them, clean up and feed/water them. They will also be sure neither of the cats has gotten into trouble and is in need of veterinary care. Find someone you can trust to do this or hire a pet sitter. Even someone who works at your vets office can do this.

Hunter answered on 8/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Licorice

If you are really worried about your cat (I know you prefer to leave Biscuit at home) You can take him with you.On plane or in the car.If you are going to take him with you on a plane you will need to have a pet passport and a few extra dollars for a pet to be on carry-on.(Also bring food and water and all that good stuff!)If you traveling by car you may need to buy a cat carrier and put your kitten in there and and put him in the front seat with you and you can talk to him so he is not so afraid.If you leave the kitty at home, then you need to be sure to leave plenty of food and water and leave out few of his favorite toys.That's the thing with cats sometimes they like to be alone and by thereself's so you shouldn't have to worry about your kitty too much.Oh and while I just remembered leave your kitty a lot of litter to go to the bathroom in.Hope this helps-Licorice
P.S.: Leaving your kitten a message on the answer machine is a good idea! ; )

Licorice answered on 8/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Namerovsky

Me too! I'm leaving for a week. I set up Nems in a "cat hotel" with a cat lady who runs it and it looks really nice, but I feel SO GUILTY. He's so sweet and was lonely at the shelter, and I know it's gonna be horrible to leave him. I really really hope he does ok.

I couldn't get a pet sitter because I live too far from anything. Next time I'll try harder. I wish I could take him with me, but international licenses and stuff are complicated. For a week, it just wasn't worth it.

Namerovsky answered on 9/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer