Nyx

Adult Male suddenly becoming aggressive with other cat?

I found Ira (neutered male) at 4 months old with his mother, Mom (spayed female) and another kitten about 5 years ago on the side of the road. Sickey, the littermate passed about 2 years ago from an internal inflammatory illness.

A little over two years ago we had another feral kitten show up, Nyxi, who is estimated to turn 3 this December, also spayed female.

Within the past month Ira has been "stalking" Mom, she growls and hides from him, but he has this crazy look in his eye, like he's not all there, and then he'll lunge at her. A lot of awful cat noises ensue, and from last nights round, Mom has a little scratch on her ear. None of our cats have ever fought other than in play so needless to say we're quite concerned. Mom has always been the ruler of the roost, so that's another reason I'm worried.

Only thing I can think is upsetting the balance is Ira has been put on a diet within the past few months, slowly reducing his food and he's agitated by this.

Thanks in advance!

Asked by Nyx on Oct 24th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

You know your cats, so I'm assuming you are concerned because what Ira is doing isn't "playing". I'm surprised that Mama doesn't lay the law down with him, but if she is not a dominant cat and Ira is, this is what might be going on. When you see Ira begin to "stalk" Mom, step in. You may have to remove Ira from the room and put him in a "time-out" like a misbehaving child. You can also try playing with Ira more. Also, Catsters always suggest that whenever there is a sudden change in behavior as you've seen with Ira, at least a call to the vet is in order. If he is losing weight, he may be feeling more "playful" and has singled Mom out for his unwelcome attentions.