Adopted kitty chewing on my hands but not food???

I adopted a cat a little over a month ago and she has a serious hand chewing problem, I also recently noticed that she is not chewing her food (dry kibble) when she eats. Is it possible that these behaviors are related?

Asked by Member 1069107 on Nov 7th 2011 Tagged chewing, food in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I think there may be two different issues here. You don't say how old your cat is, but if she is still a kitten, she may be substituting your hands for Momma or sibs. In any case, it shouldn't be tolerated. It may be "cute" now, but when she's full grown and gets angry with you or someone else, she'll think it's OK to bite and could potentially do some damage. Not fun. Never play with her with your hands. Use a feather teaser on a pole or some other hands-off toys. When she begins to bite you, tell her a firm "NO BITE!". Never strike her, but do walk away and leave her alone. As for the food, she may be an enthusiastic eater. She may also have a dental issue. You can try mixing wet food in with the dry to get her to slow down. If you haven't gotten a vet on-board for her, now is the time. Even if she was checked and vaccinated at whichever shelter you adopted her, she needs her own vet. Discuss these issues with them and they can advise you further.