What cat breed is right for me

I'm interested in getting my first cat. I want a cat that is very affectionate but that can also be independent. I also want to get a black female cat. My first choice was a Bombay cat because they are so affectionate. But I work in retail and I work long hours son I need a cat that can be on its own at home too. I did a little research and found two other breeds that might be good for me; the American Shorthair and the American Wirehair. But now I'm having trouble deciding which of the 3 I should get. I thought maybe you would be able to help. Which cat is right for me the Bombay, the American Shorthair or the American Wirehair? Or do you recommend some other breed?

Asked by Member 1141346 on Nov 19th 2012 Tagged blackcat, firsttimeowner, bombay, americanshorthair, americanwirehair in Breeds

Answers

I am not putting down cat breeders, but have you considered visiting a shelter? The number of homeless cats/kittens in our country is mind-numbing. Thousands of them, cats and kittens, are euthanized each DAY because there just is no room for them. Would you consider rescue? 4 of my five animals, 3 cats and 1 dog are rescues. 3 are from shelters. They are healthy, social and very loving. If you do decide to rescue a homeless little soul, choose a reputable shelter in your area and chat with them about your lifestyle, how much time you have to devote to a cat, and what kind of cat you are looking for. Most cats are OK at home but they do need SOME socialization, playtime and one on one contact with the person they own. Get a vet on board BEFORE you acquire a cat through a breeder or a shelter and talk with them about what kind of behavior and personality you should look for in a cat according to your needs and how to care for it once you get it home. Good luck!