Chase

Cat terrorizing the other.

My fiancee just brought 2 cats into my apartment where I have my one cat. One of her cats is incredibly mean and bullies my cat. I have been trying to assert dominance and teach her not to attack him but every time we let her out of the bedroom she makes a line straight at him to attack him. He is living in a corner, holding his pee and poo and not coming out to eat. I've tried being super strict but her cat has mental retardation. (she has kittens at one point and just let them flop out and die) She's not getting it. I don't have money to take her to the vet. I scold her every time she tries to go near my cat but it's like she doesn't even remember. We don't want to get rid of her because she has peepee issues and would be hard to place in a home. We're trying to save this cat but I will not let my cat live his life in a corner holding his waste, starving, and muscles atrophy. I've been trying to teach this bully for weeks and it isn't getting anywhere.

Asked by Chase on Oct 7th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

It does sound like your home has become a war zone. If these cats (or even one isn't) aren't fixed, this needs to be done as soon as possible. It won't cure the situation but will make it better. Just because a female cat hasn't taken care of her kittens doesn't mean she's "retarded". If she is still attacking your cat that means she's not ready to "play nice" with him and shouldn't be let out of the bedroom. Have you watched "My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet? I've heard from other Catsters that this is a very informative show. Unfortunately, a vet may be the only one who can help you. A short course of anti-anxiety meds and some advice on behavior modification may be what she needs to calm her down. Vets will work with you on payments, or you might be able to cut corners somewhere else if it meant peace in your household. Do not react with aggression to this cat when she attacks your's. For now, until you can speak with a veterinary professional, keep them separated at all times.