9ish year old cat doesn't like jumping on the bed anymore....

Hi! I have a 9 (about) year old cat. He was a stray, so I don't know his history, but I've had him for about three years. He's never been much of a climber and he's not the most active guy, but he runs around and plays plenty. He doesn't limp or seem to be in pain, yet more and more he doesn't want to jump onto the bed anymore. He tries to pull himself up with his front legs and falls every so often. Sometimes he just walks around the bed and stands up like he's going to jump but can't seem to get the nerve up.

I guess it could be arthritis, but he doesn't look like he's in pain. I can't really afford to take him for tests. Is there anything I can do? Does it sound like it's arthritis? I don't know what the average age for a stray is...or how long he was a stray for, so is it just that he's getting old?

Also, as an aside...his pupils are two different sizes...they're always that way. Any clue why?

Asked by Member 982438 on Apr 19th 2010 in Arthritis

Answers

Rex

We can only guess since to get a proper diagnosis he needs to go to the vet. Cats are good at hiding their pain. Cats do get arthritic as they get older. You could get or make him some stairs so he doesn't have to jump on the bed. I made some for my older cat because she had arthritis. Cats can live for 20 years if they are in good health and indoor cats. When you can take your kitty to the vet for an exam. The pupils being different sizes could be different things as well including some form of brain damage. Make or buy some stairs to help him so he can still sleep with you. This will also boost his self confidence.

Rex answered on 4/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We are not vets here, so there's no way we can diagnose what's wrong with your boy, if anything is. A simple vet visit, where the vet will manipulate his legs and check out his eyes doesn't involve any expensive testing. When he was a kitten, he may have suffered a head injury, but there's no way any of us could tell that. And, if the vet suggests any tests, you always have the right to say no or ask if they will accept a payment plan. As your kitty ages, he will need to see the vet, even if he never has before. Senior cats can have health issues that need taking care of. It's our way of saying "thanks" for all the years they've given us.

Strangelove (1988-2006)

It does sound like it could be arthritis and making some steps or a ramp at the end of the bed will help him be able to get up. I had to do that with Strangelove when she got old and couldn't jump well any more.

It would be worth getting him a vet check to make sure that's what it is. They should be able to do a physical exam to confirm if its arthritis and you can explain that money is tight and you want to avoid having to do xrays etc.

Glucosamine chondrotin supplements are good for cats (and people) with arthritis and help protect their joints. This site shows the supplements you can get and the prices www.arthritis . It is pretty cheap and won't cost more than about a dollar a week for a cat. It won't provide any miraculous improvement but it will slow down the progression of the arthritis and can help the body repair the cartilige in the joints.

Strangelove (1988-2006) answered on 4/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer