Amigo

9 month old kitty needs neutering... HELP!!!

I've had Meowgi since last summer. Like my last cat, he was a stray kitty before finding us. He is about 9 months old, and I NEED to get him neutered. Should he be neutered at a low cost vet or a regular vet office? Are pain meds necessary? What are the risks of complications during surgery? Should he have a blood test before surgery? How do I need to care for him after surgery? Do I really need to keep him indoors for 10-14 days after surgery?
I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness while answering these questions,
Thank you.

Asked by Amigo on Apr 4th 2010 Tagged neuter in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

I don't want to discourage you, but I lost my 11 month-old kitty after having him neutered. They said it was a "pre-existing condition" (sound familiar?) But I still have his brother who has calmed down quite a bit since his neuter. We had them done at a low-cost vet and I believe that was NOT the problem. Testing before might be an option to be sure-I wish I had done it! No special care is really needed after surgery, and keeping your kitty indoors after is a great safety measure. Hope I've helped...

I'm sorry about Guest's loss. Usually neutering is a very simple and uneventful surgery. I had three 8 month old boys neutered last week. They went in on Friday noon, and I picked them up on Friday night. Neutering involves removing the testes from the scrota--to use a crude metaphor, it's sort of like squeezing out the inside of a grape. Some vets use stitches or surgical glue to close the incision (which is quite small), but my vet (young and smart) didn't use anything--he told me that once the testes have been removed, the scrotum just closes in on itself and heals naturally. When my boys came home they were their usual rambunctious selves. I didn't get any pain meds (not all vets give them), but I did get one day's worth of antibiotics. The biggest worries are side effects from the anesthesia and infection, which are not common. If the cat licks the area excessively or it is red and inflamed, you should call your vet. Wait until the wound is healed to let Amigo outside.

I am so sorry for Guest's loss as well. But, as I said in my pawmail to you, as an animal rescue volunteer who dealt mostly with cats, we used a low-cost clinic exclusively to spay and neuter our rescues. They did juvenile spays and neuters for us and 99.9% of the procedures went off without a hitch. I don't recall a kitten ever dying while under anesthetic. This is VERY rare and very unfortunate since one does not know until too late that there was the "pre-existing" condition, sometimes even WITH pre-surgical bloodwork. It's a cruel twist of fate.

I also am sorry for Guest's loss. Unfortunately nothing in medicine is ever 100% safe. You have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks. In my opinion, spaying/neutering far out weighs the risks. Have pre-surgical bloodwork done to screen for any potential problems with anesthesia. Your vet should call you when he's done to let you know how he did. Your vet's office should also go over any post-op instructions and answer any questions.

♥OREO♥

Our Mama found all of us in the last five years. She had all of us spayed and neutered and she was very careful and followed all of the vet's instructions. She was very concerned about all of us during the surgery because my brother, Stripes, died right after being neutered. The vet said he had a pre-existing heart problem. He was just her second cat so you can imagine what she went through when it was my turn and then all of the others. She worries about us all of the time. She is very thankful that all of us did ok during and after our surgeries. There is always a risk when you have surgery. My mama and daddy have one particular vet that they like to care for us if we are sick or need surgery. I know we havent really answered you question, but we wish you the best of luck.

♥OREO♥ answered on 4/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Orange Ruffy

I'm so sorrry for the other posters loss, and I am going to tell you that I worked for a shelter, and helped after kitties were neutered. The boys were done so quickly that I hardly had time to have their recovery cage prepped before they were back, and they were recovered enough by the afternoon to go home.
My cats are all indoors, and I believe all cats should be, unless you have a yard thats completely fenced in including the top, because there is just too much danger out there to cats.
Your cat will probably require very little after neuter care. You may not be allowed to give him food for a few hours after. They may suggest shredded paper in the litterbox for a day or so. And thats it.
Most cats aren't given blood tests pre surgery if they are young and healthy. However, you could discuss this with your vet. Most male cats are up a few hours after, asking for food, plyaing, etc. Its a fairly low risk procudure and much kinder and healthier in the long run.

Orange Ruffy answered on 4/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer