8 week old kittens ok to have free roam of apartment?

We adopted 2 male kittens from a local shelter 3 weeks ago, they are now 8 weeks old. For the first 2 1/2 weeks we've had them in the bathroom with litter/toys/food. For the past 2 days we've allowed them to roam our 2 bedroom apartment and last night we allowed them to sleep outside of the bathroom. We've cat/kitten proofed the apartment but I've been reading it's best for them to stay in one room, is that true? When should we allow them to have free roam 24/7?

We've been putting them in the bathroom when no one is home so that they're not out unsupervised but they cry at the door the whole time they're in there.

Asked by Member 1061236 on Oct 4th 2011 Tagged room, kittens, weeks, apartment in Health & Safety

Answers

I'd just give it a few days to make sure the kitten proofing is working before leaving them unsupervised. Once you are happy that they'll be safe you should just let them roam free. Remember that as they get older they'll be able to jump and climb more and be able to open cupboards etc so you may need to increase the kitten proofing. Also when they start teething (usually around 5 months) they will want to chew so make sure that all power cables and plants are protected/removed so they won't get hurt.

Have fun with your kittens!

Congratulations on the new kittens! It sounds like they're ready to be a part of the household. I don't think they should be left in their room all the time if it upsets them. I agree with Sassy that they shouldn't be left out unsupervised until you're sure they'll be safe, and also that they can find their own way to their room. Once you've observed that they're fine with roaming when you're at home, I would suggest leaving them alone a few times for just short periods - while you go for a walk or to the market or something. If all this goes well, then they should be fine on their own.