6 month old kitten has chronic diarrhea

When I first got the kitten, he was about 4 months old and extremely malnourished and had very watery diarrhea. Since then I have been to two vets who each gave him a deworming treatment. He was not better after the first deworming treatment, so we took him to the other vet who said he looked fine aside from the diarrhea; he gave him another deworming treatment and also an antibiotic.

It has been a month since then and his poop is not watery or runny anymore, but it is still very soft. It is also very light colored and has a very foul odor, like rotten eggs (i did not notice the smell until about a week ago). He also seems to have a lot of gas. However, he has grown a lot (almost doubled in size) and seems a lot healthier (more alert and active, fur looks nicer) since I first got him - he does not seem sick other than those problems and you would not be able to tell he was ever a stray.

My other cat does not have any of these symptoms. What might be wrong?

Asked by Member 1142646 on Nov 27th 2012 in Illness & Disease

Answers

My daughters kitten was having a lot of the same issues, smelly watery or cow pie like diarrhea, but was playful, eating well and nice coat. This is our experience :
Make a long story short - after every test, and deworming, antibiotics, anti-viral meds, it turned out to be a severe food intolerance. He is now on a prescription grain free diet. It took almost 3 weeks on new diet, but he's doing great. Just have to be really strict about feeding schedule, and no snacks.
The kitten came from my 80 year old mothers house, we had no idea she'd accumulated cats. (Bengal/Siamese mix). They are related and I am now caring for 5 kittens who have the same issues. They are on day 5 of new diet. Like their brother they are happy and eating, just awful diarrhea.
It took my daughter and the kittens vet some time to figure out what food her guy to stomach. Hope my guys are better soon.
This is just our experience, but it might be worth looking into diet, if you haven't yet.
Good luck!

Merlin

Kittens can be allergic to the chemicals in food, including prescription food, which can cause diarrhea, lackluster coat, smelly breath and stool and flatulence.

My previous housemate Lance was one of those cats. No vet could offer any solution except medicines and Rx kibble/canned food, which Lance mostly hated. After several taste tests with him, we found a grain free, freeze dried food at the pet store, which was mixed with freshly cooked chicken breast. The chicken breast was steamed/poached in coconut oil (no other seasonings),refrigerated and then mixed with the kibble. Within days the problems disappeared, his coat became more shiny and he never again saw a vet for poop problems. He lived happy and healthy, on this diet until he crossed the rainbow bridge from old age at 18.

P.S. If you cat has loose poop make sure he is getting enough fresh water so not to get dehydrated.

Merlin answered on 11/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I rescued a severely malnourished kitten 6 weeks ago who had the same problem. I immediately took her to the vet who suspected she had coccidiosis and she was given a deworming treatment as well as Albon (the problem has a protozoal basis and needs specific treatment). She was only 1.6lbs at roughly 3 months old, and had watery diarrhea with mucus and blood.

She has improved and grown, but was still having problems as you have mentioned, so I started giving her a tsp of pure pumpkin puree (PURE, not the kind that has spices mixed in) twice a day, and it worked miracles! I have a friend who is a vet that I checked with before trying it, and she said it would not hurt--it is high in fibre, and helps to soothe the digestive tract and firm up the stools.

Sometimes issues like this can be very hard to treat and take a long time to clear up-but keep trying and take him back to the vet if necessary, especially if he still has abnormal stools containing any blood or mucus.

Good luck!