6 month old cat pees outside of liter box frequently

My cat is a 6 month old female. I have two other pets a male cat and a female dog and they all get along and love playing with eachother so marking territory cant be the issue. As soon as I noticed my cat peeing outside of her literbox I immediately took her to the vet to check for a blatter infection & she does not have one. Have tried everything: a new liter box, one for each cat plus an extra one in my room, changing her liter, cleaning her liter box more frequently, my boyfriend even suggested I 'punish' her with a squirt gun and by making her smell her own pee and then putting her in the liter box afterward but it is really hard for me to stay consistent with that since I dont 100% believe its humane or will work. Have also gotten the 'off' spray to keep her off things she pees on. Also got natures miracle to remove the smell of her urine. Also got feel-a-way or however you spell that smelly wall thing that is supposed to help cats feel at ease. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE!

Asked by Member 1150235 on Jan 15th 2013 Tagged peeing, urine, behavioral, problems, literbox, help, cat, kitten in Behavior & Training

Answers

I feel your frustration! If I don't leave an inch of water in my bathtub, Delilah poops in it. Part of it is habit, especially if your cat continues to use the same spot outside the box. I CAN tell you that you're right. Punishing her will only make the problem worse. Rubbing her nose in it, spraying her, hitting her, yelling, forcing her into the box will NOT work and make sure your BF isn't doing any of these when you're not around. The cat will see the box as a War Zone and will NEVER use it no matter what you do. Repellents don't work and Feliway has limited success. There is a litter called "Cat Attract" that you might try. Make sure you clean up her spots with Nature's Miracle and follow the directions. Since she's OK physically, her problems are probably stress. Punishing her could be one of her issues. Since you have a relationship with your vet, call them and share with them what you've told us. They're experts at this sort of stuff and can give you wonderful advice.