3 yr old cat is out of control all of a sudden

My cat Ollie is 3 yrs old. I've had him since he was 7.5 weeks. Within the last month or so, Ollie has been out of control. Scratching at all the doors/door jams, chewing on any cord he can find, not letting us sleep for long periods of time. I'm over it at the moment. I'm pregnant and need sleep. Any idea what the heck is wrong with him?? I'm over it. My husband is very over it. He's well fed. Shots are up to date and he's healthy. I'm done getting up to see what he needs.

Asked by Member 1113990 on Jun 4th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats are naturally more active at night, plus he may be aware of the changes going on in the house and feel a little anxious. give him an intensive interactive play session followed by a small meal when you go to bed. That should help quiet him down at night. Also, put lots of interactive toys around the house for him to entertain himself with as well as a couple of cat trees (if you don't already have some). He may also do well with a kitty companion to keep him occupied.

There are scratching boards that can hang on the wall put one on or by each door he is scratching rub them with catnip - the real stuff not spray. Put all cords in those cord protectors so they can't be chewed. Lots of toys and scratching posts with rope on not carpet. Cat climbing scratch post with things to lay on. Put a feilaway collar on him to calm him down. Play with him really hard before bed so he is tired. Also leave canned food out for him catinfo.org
He feels that you are changing and it scares him and he could get worse when the baby comes till he knows he is still loved. Consider a screen door on babies room to keep him out when baby is alone. Works well and keeps him from laying on the baby. Show him tons of love now and when baby comes. I think this will all help. Good luck with Ollie and congratulation on the baby. +

This is a discouraging "read" because it sounds like you've already got Ollie out the door and out of your life. You and your husband are both honked off at him, and as you say "over it". There could be lots of reasons why Ollie is behaving like this. If he hasn't been to his vet lately, take him in before the baby comes to make sure he's healthy and has no dental or medical issues. He knows something is up that will change his life forever. Give him credit for being there first and cut him some slack. Btw, I've babysat for 2 grandbabies with 3 cats in the house. I've NEVER had ANY of my cats "lay on the baby" at any time. They hide. It's an old wive's tale that they do that. Pets should always be supervised with babies and young children, but cats smothering babies is just not true. Good luck. I hope you, your hubby and Ollie can find a solution before the baby comes.