Juliette

2 Cats. Small apartment. Which litter cuts down on odor the most in small spaces?

I am moving to a smallish apartment. The litterbox will be somewhat near the kitchen too, so I want to reduce the possibility of stink as much as humanly possible. Any suggestions for your favorite odor eliminating litter would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Juliette on Mar 12th 2009 Tagged litterstinkodorlitterboxsmell in Pet Products

Answers

I like Tidy Cats scoopable (multicat) with the turquoise or red lid on a yellow bucket. I am very picky about odor and I have 5 litterboxes. I am also careful about dust levels because I have Persians with sensitive eyes. Arm & Hammer is terribly dusty so I don't like that one. I have tried tests using a different brand in just one of the boxes and the cats also preferred the Tidy Cats litter. I tried Tidy Cats small spaces and they wouldn't use the box I put it in. It seems like it would work well on odors but the scent was kind of strong and they didn't seem to like it.

Philbert

I use either arm and hammer multicat or tidycat multicat. I also live in an apt with two cats with a litterbox in the kitchen. I also use arm and hammer or tidycat litter deoterizer. its just like a white powder you sprinle in the box after you clean it that had a nice scent and covers oders and keeps activates as the kitties move it around. And i'm sure you do this but it helps to clean the box everyday.

Philbert answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I use Tidy Cat Small Spaces and it works really well. You should also try a covered litterbox. It helps to keep the smell contained in the litterbox.

The Wisconsin cats

We also live in an apartment. We like Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra for multiple cats. It clumps hard, controls odors very well, and is not too expensive. It runs about $16 for a big 40 pound bag at our local PetSmart. It is also low dust which is a concern for us as Mickey has asthma. Covered litter boxes can help, but some cats don't like them. Some cats are afraid of them and you will need to scoop frequently - as the smell is more confined to inside the litter box, some cats won't use them.

The Wisconsin cats answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tabby

Hi,
I live in a small 1 bedroom apt & I have 2 cats.I used arm&hammer once but it was too dusty and I suffer from dust allergy.So I changed to Fresh-step.My kitties like it better, moreover, the granules are not rough like arm and hammer and it clumps easily and clupms never break.As long as the litter box is large enough (jumbo size is arnd $11at walmart) and litter is always filled upto 2.5 to 3 inches and cleaned thoroughly every day, Fresh step is very good.No smell, no stink, no dust and cost effective.It is only $14 @ Sams Club for 40lb.The other good one is tidycats-multicat-odor control.You can get this in a 50lb bag and its only $7.88 @Samsclub.It is 96% dust free also.Another one in Sams is litterclean-100% natural,No chemicals& long lasting odor control. Its $11 for 40 lbs.But My cats love fresh step and I have been using this for the past 3 yrs.None beat Fresh Step for odor control yet!! I also use arm&hammer baking soda.It is only $5 at Sams for 12 lbs which is very cheap

Tabby answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Belle

Belle's litterbox is in our laundryroom, which is rather small, and is adjacent to our living room - so I have been a bit anal about keeping the smell to a minimum! I use a covered litterbox (it even has a plastic doggy-door on the front), and for litter I use Tidy Cats Scoop with Antimicrobial Action (although now I think the name has changed to Tidy Cats Scoop Breathe Easy). In addition, I spray cat litter odor neutralizer (a generic brand which I got from my local pet store) on top after I scoop every day, and occassionally add new litter on top too. I also make sure to scoop her litter often - it's recommended that you scoop it every day, and change out the litter once a month.

Now I don't even notice a smell! Hopefully this will help you.

Belle answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Charlie

Hi! My two are indoor cats and I was told by a salesguy that food specifically designed for housecats has less protein (they are supposedly less active than outside cats - although I haven't noticed!) but also the food is designed to make the poo smell less and be easier to remove from a tray. Worth thinking about what they are eating as well as your choice of litter.

Charlie answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Baby

Hello, When our cat, Baby, was sick we had to quarantined him from the other cats.
We put baby in our bedroom with food, water, scratcher, and the LITTERBOX! We used "Fresh Step Multiple Cat Strenghth" and we cleaned it every evening. I was impressed on how clean and fresh my room smelled. In addition, when I did live in an apartment I put the litterbox on the side of the toilet, pushed back against the wall, I would clean it as soon as the cat used it. From the box to the toilet; gone along with the smell. One more suggestion, you really don't want the littlebox anywhere near the kitchen, food and kitty poop do not mix except to cause bacteria in your food. Enjoy your new apartment.
Cat

Baby answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a cat named Bubbles who has extremely smelly poo. I like Arm & Hammer Naturals which is a corn based litter. It blocks odors well and smells like potpourri when you first put it in the box.

Gulliver

World's Best Cat Litter is seriously the World's Best Cat Litter. It started when my apartment didn't have a garbage room and I had to store my garbage in my apartment until collection day, so I wanted flushable. I tried other brands friends recommended, including other corn litters (and natural litters) but this one had "kernels" the approx. size of clay, which made an easier transition and less tracked around the house (urg, President's Choice Green Corn litter went EVERYWHERE, since it was practically dust). Regular strength was best for me, as the Extra Strength can smell like the actual litter when wet (though, thankfully, it does not smell like the litter contents at least). However, the Extra Strength can be helpful for multiple-cats households.

Gulliver answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I have 2 cats in one part of the house and a third in my bedroom. I use Fresh Step multi cat and have little to no odor in either place. Try adding baking soda to the boxes when you clean them, it helps neutralize odors; you can get a big bag at Sam's quite cheap, just sprinkle 1/4 cup or so in the litter.

Martini

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with 3 cats, I have tried Tidy Cat (EXTREMELY DUSTY - HATE IT!!), Arm and Hammer which was good but also dusty and they seemed to track that out of the box alot. After much testing I found that I like Fresh Step the best... it's less dusty than the other brands and works great.

Martini answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I was told that clay litter is detrimental to a cat's health. I use a natural litter from Whole Foods. He uses that with no problem as he is used to it. I also used a hooded litterbox and scoop out consistently. No odor or health problems here.

I've always lived in a smaller space, i.e., apt. or small house and I've ALWAYS had a cat. I've tried a lot of different littlers, but the best combination I've found for no smell is using "Scoopaway" littler and adding "Arm and Hammer Litter Soda" to it when I fill the box. And I always use the scooping kind of little.

Boo

I live in a small apartment with two cats. My husband and I have found that "World's Best Cat Litter" by far out-performs any kind of clay or silica litter, and is much more healthy for our cats and our air quality.

I found myself getting sick from clay-based litters, and actually they are not good because the clay dust gets into the air and you can breathe in the particulates. Bad for your lungs, and I also think it must be bad for your cats' lungs since they are digging in it all the time.

The silica litters also worry me because they are harmful if swallowed. I know my cats wont eat it, but they do tend to groom a lot, and so I avoid them.

Worlds Best is made from corn, is biodegradable and can be flushed down the toilet (although not in huge quantities). It does a FANTASTIC job of sucking up odors as long as it is scooped on a regular basis. It also requires less frequent changing over. Also, there is no dusty particulate, so I know it isn't being inhaled.

Best of luck!

Boo answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hello, I to live in a small apartment and I have two cats. And my litter box is in the dining room/kitchen. I have had very very good luck with the Tidy Cat 24/7 Performance Long Lasting Odor control. And when I clean the box I also use Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer. You can use this also when your cat goes in and makes a Big Stink this will eliminate odor instantly.

Good Luck,

Pebbles

Personal Experience -I like cats pride. It worked for me and I had 5 cats at one time.

Pebbles answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hilde

I wanted to chime in with the Fresh Step suggestions. I have two cats and I've tried all kinds and that stuff is hands down the best. I can never smell it. Scoop Away comes in second, but nothing compares to Fresh Step, I don't like using any other kind.

(Hey, nice to meet another "Juliette" -- I'm a "Juliet")

Hilde answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kitty

I have tried most of the different kinds of litter and agree that Fresh Step is one of the top Brands that I came across and my kitty, "Kitty" prefers it also

Kitty answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Fresh Step is an excellent one. I use the multiple cat formula because I have two cats and my apartment is small and the liter box is near the kitchen. Just clean it every single day and change it out once a week. You should have no problem with bad odors.

Neferkitty

Swheat Scoop is by far the best cat litter I've tried. It's clay free, low dust and clumping. My second best recommendation would be Feline Pine, which is less costly than Swheat Scoop but does not clump. Both can be found at pet stores and some grocery stores. When introducing your cat to a new litter, it is recommended to do so in stages: 75/25% ratio, 50/50 ratio, 25/75 ratio, until the cat has acclimated to the different texture and smell. Swheat Scoop and Feline Pine are all natural.

Neferkitty answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Marble

Good morning!

It all depends upon your cat's tendencies, how many you have, what u feed them & how often/what products you use to clean. Having been a cat mommy for 28 yrs, I LOVE Fresh Step & any store brand that is like Fresh Step (generic u might say). I only get the NON-CLUMPING kind because I find the other gets stuck in the paws & sticks to ANYTHING when it gets flung (no need for wall art like this :))
Fresh Step is low dust, has carbon particles that really help, and depending on H20, protein & carb intake (my cats are fed more protein & Low Carb dry food), the stool and urine will smell less. I also put less litter in the pan (1 inch level) because I scoop each day & change completely every other day. This has prevented most odor and kept them free of urinary tract infections. An excellent odor fixer is plain old baking soda. And a small air filter near the box works wonders too!
Whatever you do DON'T put the box near any heat source!!!!

Marble answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

I have 3 indoor males cats in a small apartment. I have been using Feline Pine for years and it works so well at controlling the odor naturally without heavy perfumes! You must stay on top of keeping the litter clean & refilling it with more litter. Just follow the directions. One of my cats had a problem with blood in his urine a few years back & the vet said it was from the clumping litter getting inside his urethra when he urinates. He suggested not to use it, especially with males cats. There's also the issue with them inhalling the dust. There's research where kittens have suffocated to death because their lungs where filled with the clumping little dust. No way are my cats going to breathing that stuff! The clumping litter may be convenient for us, but it's not healthy for our cats.

Hunter answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Samantha

ok I have 3 I have tried all of the mentioned Cat litters the ONLY one that works the best is "Yesterdays News" not only is it recycled Newspaper , it works better that all other litters including the "Litter Maid" ( ugh what a stink and mess. And with 3 litter boxs and 3 cats i have to change about 3-4 days with NO Smell!

Samantha answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mi ~ Amoré

I have to keep Mia's box in the kitchen, as I have a front loader washer & dryer & the doors have to remain open, also a sump-pump so the basement was out . Our small 1/2 bath down stairs has no room for the box, so the only option is the kitchen. I needed a Litter that would not be stinky & hold tight clumps, not for my benefit when cleaning but, for Mia, she is a picky Diva for sure & will not use any litter but Scoop-away. Thankfully, it works very well at controling odors as my little Diva is also a very stinky pooper...LOL

Mia & I hope you have a safe move & we wish the best for you & your family in your new home!

Mi ~ Amoré answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cheyenne!

I use "The World's Best Cat Litter". It's great litter. My small apartment does not smell like CAT. It's non-tracking. It's not dusty. It's made of processed corn cobs. It's a clumping litter, which makes clean up easier for me. The bag states that this is a truly flushable litter (their web site has a video showing why), but I'm content with throwing it in a bag. It's a safe litter for kittens, because it is completely non-toxic.

The product comes in two sizes: one month's litter for one cat and three month's litter for one cat. When you start out using this product, you will need two bags--enough litter to fill the box and replacement litter. You only replace the litter that the cat used. So, when you clean the box, you put the litter in a bag, wash the box and replace it. There's no wasted litter.

It comes in single cat and multi cat formulations.

The only downside is that it's not cheap (initially). I pay 9 bucks a month at the Petco for a bag of it.

Cheyenne! answered on 3/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Samara

I have 4 cats and i have tryed every litter out there and i found tidy cats small spaces the dark blue works the best no dust no odor nothing and cheap at target

Samara answered on 3/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zeus

We use wood pellets. A huge bag costs only 8$. It totally absorbs urine; none of that ammonia smell. Granted it doesn't cover up the smell of poop, so we scoop it right away into the litter locker. This is basically the same thing as Feline Pine but a lot cheaper.

We decided to use the wood pellets after reading how clumping and scented litters could be harmful to feline health.

Zeus answered on 4/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Daisy Green ♥

i love world's best cat litter. there are tons of other natural so called litters, but the shavings of wood chips and other ones are not as easy on the cat's feet. there is even one i saw now with coconut shells all shaved up. it looks and smells like tobacco (to me), it sticks to their feet, and it says "and other resources." those phrases worry me because you never really know what the heck it could be??? anyways the world's best cat litter does cost more but if you are like me and even when you don't have very much money you worry more about your cat's health first... i think it's the safest. it is great and we never have any order. it's flushable. even if your cat ate it, it wouldn't be terrible. corn is not digestable for cats but in the long run, it's not toxic as some others might be, no dust to cause lung issues. it clumps great. i love it. the crystals are dangerous, one cat i read got one in it's eye when covering up it's business. silca is toxic to cats too. hurts feet.

♥ Daisy Green ♥ answered on 5/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wally

I really prefer the crystals only litter in my 2-cat small house. Either Freshstep, Tidycats, or any brand. It soaks up the smell, lasts a long time, and dries out poo so scooping is a lot less yucky. And it's easier to sweep up. :)

Wally answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer