15 yr-old female peeing on clothes. Help!?!

My husband's cat was peeing on our clothes a few months ago, but stopped for a while, then started up again a couple days ago. We haven't changed anything in her diet, litter, or housing in 9 months. No new members of the family or anything either. We took her to the vet last month for routine check up and shots, coming back healthy. I don't understand her behavior and I just want it to stop.

Asked by Member 1133170 on Sep 28th 2012 Tagged peeing, clothes, age in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

I understand. Nothing smells worse or stronger than cat pee, and if you can't bleach the clothes, you're out of luck. Has your cat been checked for a bladder infection? She could have been examined by a vet, but a routine check-up doesn't do a urine test to check for infection. There are few outward signs of an infection other than not being able to control where she pees. The urge is so strong, it's impossible to stop. If you ever had one, you know how unpleasant they are. Your vet can do a "sterile" collection so you don't have to get a sample yourself. Also, she is a senior cat. In human years, she'd be around 105 years old. Old cats, like old people, pop with symptoms quickly and she may have been fine last month, but something may be going on with her now. Cats, like people, can suffer from a dementia like disease and she may simply forget where her box is, like when you forget where you put your car keys. Try putting out more boxes for her. See if that helps.