11 month old kitten, worried kitty-mommy. Please help!

My 11 month old kitten (neutered male) has always been very healthy. Then a few days ago my roommates both bought cat nip scratching boards and we had to throw them away because Mars(my kitty) and Aki (I live in an apartment with 3 cats) both received injuries from it. Aki rubbed his nose raw and Mars licked it so much he has a sore on his tongue and started drooling excessively, I thought it would heal fine. Now his nose is running, no green or odd colors, and his right eye has gotten a bit water. Is it a cold? Is it something worse? Please help, I have an appointment for him on Friday but some words of advice on what I should do until then would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Member 1122319 on Jul 24th 2012 Tagged kitty, sore, tongue, cold, puffy, eye, watery, runny, nose in Health & Wellness

Answers

Tasha

I'm glad you made a vet appointment! I really hope everything is alright. It almost sounds like Mars had an allergic reaction to the scratching boards. Maybe is was the materials the boards were made of? Maybe the catnip? Have they had catnip before?

Tasha answered on 7/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Catnip tends to affect different cats in different ways. In my Izzie's case, it affects him in different ways each time I give it too him, which isn't often. He can be goofy, but the one time he attacked his sister, he hasn't gotten it since. It's quite possible that it's an allergic reaction. Humans also get watery eyes from allergies. Don't worry. I'm sure all will be fine!