Sarge's week

(Page 10 of 15: Viewing Diary Entry 91 to 100)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  


September 14th 2010 4:11 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 3 people already have ]

Dad took me back to the vet last week for a follow-up to my hyperthyroidism. Great news! The vet said everything looked good and I even behaved myself (they didn't have to give me a sedative). I'm still on my medicine for now. We'll see what happens when I go back for my normal check-up.

It's fall and the windows are open most of the time. Dad's mold allergies are acting up. Plus he's not happy at work. He's looking for a new position now. We don't want him to be sad so we're trying to give him extra love so he knows how much we need him.


A Pet's Ten Commandments

September 14th 2010 4:07 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

From today's COTD Zoey

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of ME.
3. PLACE YOUR TRUST IN ME. It is crucial for my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as Punishment. You have your work, your friends your entertainment, but I have only you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7.Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.
10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me. Please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't Make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are THERE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU ALWAYS.


Good Riddance Tree of Death!

September 6th 2010 8:18 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

When Dad moved in 4 years ago there was this dying tree reaching out from the wooded area outside our home. The bedroom had a great view off pretty green trees and yummy grass marred by this leafless half tree that stood out like Death's hand. The problem was that no one knew who was responsible for it. But since it wasn't doing any actual harm (looking ugly is not a crime) we let it go. But this morning at 4am we were woken up by this loud "CRACK". There wasn't enough light to see out but Dad figured some branches broke off and went back to sleep. Not so! The whole upper half of the tree snapped away leaving the remains of the trunk mostly hidden in the greenery (with luck it will break down over winter). The "hand of death" was on the lawn and sidewalk! Hooray! Dad dragged it so it was no longer on the sidewalk (the neighbors have a little human and another little human on the way) so the landscapers can take it away later.

The pills are doing me good even though I hate to take them. The other day Dad showed pictures of us to the Almost Home people on his annual visit/donation trip. They said how happy and healthy we look. He saw some cute kittens there including a calico who lost one eye due to an infection. The poor little girl. He wanted to bring her home but there's enough cats here already and Pepi would go nuts!


Diary of the Day!

July 21st 2010 5:40 am
[ Leave A Comment | 6 people already have ]

Wow! I'm the featured Diary of the Day! This is so awesome!

Dad got my medicine last night and gave me my first half-pill. I fought him some but he slipped it into my mouth during a meow. The pill itself is small and a half pill even smaller so it wasn't that bad. At least it wasn't liquid. I had those before. They taste worse and linger around. Plus they make me cough.

We hope this will control my hyperthyroidism. Since we caught it early everyone is optimistic. I may be on these pills forever though. Unfortunately this illness is becoming more common in cats. The only bright side is that it's been studied more which led to better treatments. Next month when I go back, we'll find out more.

Keep purring everyone!


Good news!

July 19th 2010 6:54 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Vet called today with good news! It is my thyroid and it can be treated! Better is that since I'm (relatively) young and very healthy I only need a half dose a day. Then we'll see what happens. In the best case I'll just need an injection and that's it. Dad is really happy and relieved. He'll have to make me take my pills, though.


The News

July 16th 2010 3:44 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Vet got the results. We need more tests but either I have kidney disease of some kind which is making me go pee often or something is wrong with my thyroid which is messing with my kidney. The former is treatable. The latter is curable. Whatever it is, we caught it good and early. The new test results will come in next week. But the good news is that apart from that, I'm very healthy. Dad won't have to get the "weight control" formula anymore and he can keep giving me the canned food.

In the catster forums people say to take your cat to the vet whenever there's a change in behavior. They're correct. You should. Dad did and the odds of my living a long life here went up drastically.


So far so good

July 15th 2010 4:51 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

I went to the vet today. Since my last visit they moved into a nice new building without all the annoying scents. They say I behaved myself better than usual. Meaning they didn't have to sedate me (heh heh heh). I got an examination and everything looks good. They sent my blood and urine out to be tested though so we should have the final word tomorrow. One thing though, I lost twelve ounces in 5 months (which people playing CLOSE attention to my stats would have already noticed - to those people I say "get a life and stop memorizing my stats! I'm a cat not a baseball player!" mol). That was cause for some concern which is why they sent out for more tests.

Dad thinks it's all the wet food I've been having. When I got home I tried to eat some of the dry stuff and it was ... awkward due to my missing teeth. Dad is going to keep me off the canned food for a while and see if that helps. If it is the wet food and nothing else, well I guess Dad will just have to change the litter boxes more often.


Another Vet Trip

July 14th 2010 7:32 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Someone has been urinating in the litter boxes a LOT these past few weeks. Dad thinks it could be me. Remember in my history about how Dad thought I looked like a cat he had while growing up? His name was Opus and Opus came down with feline diabetes. He fell into a coma one day it caused severe brain damage. So bad that the only merciful thing that could be done was to put him down. It was one of the most painful things Dad had to watch. That was about 11 years ago. One of the symptoms of feline diabetes is lots of drinking and urination. So Dad is going to set up an appointment with the vet tomorrow and see if he can get me in for an examination. Paws crossed that the extra urination is something else (like all the wet food I've been eating or the heat).


Ambassador Sarge

July 7th 2010 6:43 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 1 person already has ]

Well much has happened since the last post. Dad got a new job and he's been there 8 weeks. It's close to home, but there's often overtime. Not much but it happens.

Since I've gotten some teeth pulled earlier this year, Dad's been giving me canned cat food several times a day so I don't have to chew as much. I love it. So I've been more affectionate lately. I stay by his side all night more nights.

On July 4th Dad was out grilling with our new neighbors. They just moved in and their stuff didn't arrive yet. Dad shared his grilled foods with them and I got to go outside. They have a 2 year old boy who hasn't seen a cat up close before (allergies). So I became an ambassador for Catdom. The kid was shy at first but eventually he pet me. I didn't object at all. I hope it was a good experience for him. He may not grow up with cats but it shouldn't be afraid of us.

It hasn't been all sunshine, I ran out through the garage while the door was closing. Just like what happened my first Halloween here. But this time Dad didn't panic. He just stopped the door from closing, walked over and picked me up. He was annoyed but didn't yell at me. He did say my desire to go outside will be the death of me one day. But I love it so.


I was a bad kitty

April 20th 2010 6:45 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Yesterday when Dad came back from his walk, he was talking with our neighbor. The nice man who checks up on us when Dad is away. I got to go outside while they were talking. It was great at first. I was meowing up a storm, nibbling on grass and looking around. Then I started going too far into the woods and got close too the creek. Dad was M-A-D. He yelled at me and tried to go into the woods to get me. Eventually he chased me out and put me back inside. I'm a good cat but I want to keep going further. Dad was scared I would fall into the creek and drown. I didn't come close. But it looks like for the time being I'm not going to be allowed to go outside without my harness.

  Sort By Oldest First

Sarge (In Loving Memory)


Family Pets

Josie -


(What does RSS do?)