I love cat-themed jewelry, and these pendants made from Scrabble tiles are really easy to make. And since you’re the one making them, you can use any design you want. They make great gifts for cat lovers — and yourself!
Recycle Scrabble tiles into cute pendants.
What you’ll need:
- Decorative papers
- Cat stickers
- Scrabble tiles
- Mod Podge
- Fine sandpaper or metal file
- Small paintbrush
- Craft knife
- 3-D glue (I use Diamond Glaze)
- Super Glue
- Small jewelry bails
- Choose your paper and stickers wisely — you have a small area to work with. The pendants shown here are done using paper and stickers, but you can also just use cat-themed paper, as long as the design will fit on the Scrabble tile.
- Use the Mod Podge and paintbrush to adhere your paper to the back of the tile. Let dry for about half an hour.
- Use the craft knife to carefully trim around the outside of the tile. Be careful not to cut the tile (the wood is pretty soft).
- Gently file the edges of the paper so it’s smooth and flush with the edges of the tile.
- If you’re using a sticker, place it on the tile.
- Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge to seal the paper.
- Once the Mod Podge is dry (about half an hour), apply the Diamond Glaze, starting at the edges, then filling in the middle. Let it dry for a minimum of four hours. Keep an eye out for bubbles in the glaze — use your fingernail or a needle to pull it off the tile.
- Once it’s completely dry, clean up any rough edges or excess glue.
- Attach the jewelry bail to the back of the tile using a drop or two of the Super Glue.