I’ve always loved boxes — my home is filled with them. So I decided to decorate one of my own using stencils — cat-themed, of course!
- Give the box a good sanding to get rid of any rough spots.
- Paint the box with two or three coats. Let it dry completely before you start stenciling.
- Position the stencil where you want it, and gently tape it down so it doesn’t move around.
- Dip the stencil brush in contrasting paint color and remove any excess paint by dabbing the brush on a paper towel.
- Start applying paint at the edges of the stencil, working toward the center with a light up-and-down tapping motion. (Using a side-to-side movement will cause the paint to bleed under the stencil.)
- Let dry, then fill with plants of your choice.
What you’ll need:
- Wooden box
- Craft paint
- Cat-themed stencil
- Paint brush
- Stencil brush
- Masking tape
2 thoughts on “Kitty-Themed Plant Box”
The plants shown in the photo are Jade plants which are highly toxic to cats. Even just nibbling on the leaves can be fatal. Not a great example to show as this DIY could end up killing your cat.
It's important to check to see if the plants are pet-safe.