Cats seem to have a way of losing or destroying their toys during an intense game of fetch or chase. Replenishing their toys regularly can become exhaustive and expensive. Rather than having to purchase often over-priced items, it might be more beneficial to you, your cat, and your bank account to get creative and build your own! You might be surprised how much more you can get out of your cat toys when you spend some time building one they truly love.
Now, coming up with steller ideas is the hard part, so we’ve gathered our favorite DIY cat toys and listed them in an easy guide for you to use. Learning how to make cat toys is easier than ever. Each has its own step by step instructions to ensure you end up with a spot on toy every time!
Top 25 DIY Cat Toys
1. Crinkle Pompom Cat Toy by Dream a Little Bigger
The simplicity of this toy is not only an easy build for you, but is full of enticing qualities your cat will love. A crinkle texture and sound, it’s light weight so they are able to bat them around, and can be created in bright colors to keep them intrigued.
2. Catnip Kicker by Nifty Thrifty DIYer
If you have a frisky kitty – this catnip cat kicker is a feline favorite! It’s large enough they can get a full grip and let their legs run wild, yet small enough they can still easily toss it around.
3. Mouse Plush Toy by Rhythms of Play
Although you need a needle and thread to create this toy, it’s simple enough for beginner sewers. The effort will be well worth it once you see how much your cat appreciates it!
4. Mega Cat Toy Puzzle by Cat Lessons
Start saving your toilet paper rolls immediately! This toy calls for quite a few but creates an interesting brain game your cat is sure to enjoy.
5. The Two Minute Cat Toy by Thrifty Jinxy
This two-minute toy might be just as easy to destroy as it was to build, but with an eco-friendly, recyclable base and taking next to no time to create, it really is a win win. Your cat will feel accomplished after winning the battle with this one!
6. No Sew Cat Toy by Sensibly Sara
No sew toys are the ultimate game changer when it comes to creating your own cat toys and this one is no exception. You can leave this plushy ball on the string to keep it interactive or cut it free so your feline can chase it freely.
7. DIY Cat Tunnel by Cat Toy Lady
Cat tunnels are a great way to play hide and seek with your cat. Save yourself a ton by building your own.
8. DIY Stringed Feather Cat Toy by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
String toys are the heart and soul of cat toys! They allow you to bond with your cat while ensuring they get just enough exercise to eliminate those late-night zoomies!
9. Cheap & Easy Cork Cat Toy by The Links Site
If you love wine just as much as you love your kitty, chance are you have a few corks kicking around. Refurbish your leftover corks into spongey toys your cat won’t be able to resist!
10. Refillable Catnip Toys by Finding Our Frugal
As we stated, longevity in a cat toy is rare. But with this idea, we are hopeful that you will get a bit more wear from this refillable toy.
11. Cat Toy Ribbon Wand Tutorial by Pop Shop America
Wands and ribbon are an intriguing combination for a cat. Moving mysteriously, taunting them. Build your own for a fraction of the cost of their store-bought counterpart.
12. DIY Macaroon Cat Toys by Club Crafted
Again, this toy combines our love for sweet treats with a light and fluffy toy our felines adore. Make them in various sizes to keep your kitty on her toes!
13. Cat Ribbon Play Gym by Charleston Crafted
A stationary ribbon gym is the perfect cat toy for those who like to keep their kitties entertained while they are away. Add a little airflow in your home and your cat won’t even notice that you’re gone.
14. Cat Toy Puff by Petcube
This list wouldn’t be complete without a yarn toy. It’s an age-old pairing, cats and yarn – and the best part is it’s incredibly simple and inexpensive to create.
15. Toilet Paper Tube Cat Toy by Pet Helpful
This toilet paper tube tutorial is one of the easiest homemade cat toys you can find. It can be made in several minutes using only an empty toilet paper roll and some scissors. Your cats will adore playing with this simple paper tube, and you will save plenty of money and time on expensive cat toys.
16. DIY Treat Toy Puzzle by Hachette Book Group
Another amazing way to upcycle an empty toilet paper roll is to create a toy puzzle that will engage your cat for hours, especially once you add some treats to it. This toy is not only easy to make but will provide amazing mental stimulation for your cat.
17. Mice and Fish Upcycled Toy by Swoodson Says
If you’ve got some old clothing you’d like to get rid of, here’s a fantastic opportunity to do so while giving them a new purpose! You can successfully upcycle your old jeans or T-shirt into a cute cat toy by crafting this mouse and fish upcycled toy.
18. Catnip Mouse Cat Toy by The Spruce Crafts
For this catnip mouse cat toy, you may need to acquire some more materials beforehand, but the end result is absolutely adorable. Your cat will adore running after a miniature felt mouse that will smell like its favorite herb.
19. Sensory Playground for Cats by HGTV
One amazing way to incorporate playtime with plenty of mental and physical stimulation is to create this sensory playground that your cats will love. While it may take some time and plenty of materials, it will include all of your cat’s favorite toys, including a scratching post and a comfy lounge spot.
20. Cat Grass Pond by Chirpy Cats
A cat grass pond is a truly unique form of cat entertainment because it provides a toy, a hydration station, and mental stimulation all at once. It is an amazing way to provide your cat with plenty of water throughout the day while keeping them entertained and amused.
21. DIY Cat Wand by Irresistible Pets
Another easy-to-make cat toy that will give you fun playtime with your cat is this DIY cat wand. Teasing your cat with a wand is incredibly amusing as you watch its adorable, playful nature come out. Crafting it is effortless with a few basic materials, and you can customize the wand with the things you already have in the house.
22. DIY Cardboard Cat Play Box by Charleston Crafted
Here’s another charming tutorial for a cat play box. It is easy and enjoyable to make, and your cat will go wild for the toys the box will include. It can be a special nook where your cat can hide to play on its own.
23. Fishing Pole Cat Toy by Lia Griffith
A fishing pole cat toy is an excellent way to keep your kitten amused, with a few simple materials you probably already have at home. It is an adorable toy that will create a stronger bond between you and your cat, giving you hours of enjoyable moments.
24. Felt Sushi Cat Toy by Lia Griffith
As we all know, cats are the biggest fans of fish so any fish-themed toy will be a treat for your kitten. Here’s another adorable toy you can surprise your cat with. This cute sushi cat toy is made with a soft felt material that will be pleasant for your kitten to rub against and chew on, while it can be filled with catnip to make it even more enjoyable.
25. DIY Pompom Cat Tail by Henry Le
This DIY pompom cat tail is gorgeous as both a cat toy and a keychain. It is fun and easy to make, and you can even include your children in the crafting project. The colors you choose can resemble your cat’s tail, and because of their fun appearance, the cat will adore playing with it.
There you have it – a list of DIY cat toys sure to help with your monthly pet spending all while enriching your furbabies life! We hope that you have enjoyed learning how to build cat toys. Hopefully, you found one gadget that you both love and will continue to create on your own!
Looking for more fabulous cat posts? Check out:
- 40 Fat Cat Memes | The Best Hilariously Tubby Cats
- 12 Funny Cat Haircuts That Will Make You Laugh
- Cat Bucket List: 14 Fun Things to Do With Your Kitty
- DIY Felt Cat Toy Plans You Can Make Today (With Instructions)
Feature Image Credit: Chendongshan, Shutterstock
- 1 Top 25 DIY Cat Toys
- 1.1 1. Crinkle Pompom Cat Toy by Dream a Little Bigger
- 1.2 2. Catnip Kicker by Nifty Thrifty DIYer
- 1.3 3. Mouse Plush Toy by Rhythms of Play
- 1.4 4. Mega Cat Toy Puzzle by Cat Lessons
- 1.5 5. The Two Minute Cat Toy by Thrifty Jinxy
- 1.6 6. No Sew Cat Toy by Sensibly Sara
- 1.7 7. DIY Cat Tunnel by Cat Toy Lady
- 1.8 8. DIY Stringed Feather Cat Toy by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
- 1.9 9. Cheap & Easy Cork Cat Toy by The Links Site
- 1.10 10. Refillable Catnip Toys by Finding Our Frugal
- 1.11 11. Cat Toy Ribbon Wand Tutorial by Pop Shop America
- 1.12 12. DIY Macaroon Cat Toys by Club Crafted
- 1.13 13. Cat Ribbon Play Gym by Charleston Crafted
- 1.14 14. Cat Toy Puff by Petcube
- 1.15 15. Toilet Paper Tube Cat Toy by Pet Helpful
- 1.16 16. DIY Treat Toy Puzzle by Hachette Book Group
- 1.17 17. Mice and Fish Upcycled Toy by Swoodson Says
- 1.18 18. Catnip Mouse Cat Toy by The Spruce Crafts
- 1.19 19. Sensory Playground for Cats by HGTV
- 1.20 20. Cat Grass Pond by Chirpy Cats
- 1.21 21. DIY Cat Wand by Irresistible Pets
- 1.22 22. DIY Cardboard Cat Play Box by Charleston Crafted
- 1.23 23. Fishing Pole Cat Toy by Lia Griffith
- 1.24 24. Felt Sushi Cat Toy by Lia Griffith
- 1.25 25. DIY Pompom Cat Tail by Henry Le
- 4 Wrapping Up