Halloween is special. Not only do you get to dress up like someone other than yourself for a day, you get to walk door to door collecting free candy — well, at least if you’re under age 12. If you’re an adult and not a parent, you get to drink too much pumpkin beer while dancing to “Monster Mash” and pretending you’re a vampire. Basically, the day is fun for everyone.
Everyone, that is, except black cats. While Halloween certainly puts all cats at risk (seriously, just keep them indoors tonight), black cats are particularly vulnerable thanks to their depiction in popular media and stupid myths about them being unlucky.
To help dispel those myths, here are five video reminders that black cats are awesome. Share them with your friends — and keep your kitties safe tonight.
1. Proud cat daddy
The way this cat guy dotes on his fluffy, wide-eyed black kitty will make you melt.
“People that hate black cats will come back as mice in their next lives.” –Faith Resnick
2. 10 reasons to adopt a black cat ASAP
This video provides 10 reasons why we’d be lucky to have a black cat in our homes. After watching this brain-meltingly adorable kitten frolic and flop his way through each scene, I’m ready to head to the shelter right now.
3. Lucky black cats
This video proves that black cats are not only good luck, they’re also inspirational, famous (Snowball from The Simpsons, anyone?), and pretty darn smart.
“Cats are like music. It’s foolish to try to explain their worth to those who don’t appreciate them.” –Unknown
4. Black cats have skills
Cole the black cat is a comedian, big brother, avid hair tie collector, and exterminator. He’s also adorable, snuggly, and friendly — and he does excellent mouse impressions. I don’t see any bad luck here!
5. Giant black cat needs a hug
This man in a cat suit illustrates the sad reality many black cats face when waiting to be adopted at the shelter. They’re often overlooked in favor of other “more interesting” cats. Well, man in a cat suit, I’m here to tell you that you’re welcome at my place any time. Wait, that sounded bad. You know what I mean.
“A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.” –Groucho Marx
Do you have a black cat? Are you going to give her some extra love this Halloween? Tell us about it in the comments!
Watch more cat videos:
- 5 Videos That Prove Big Cats are Just Like Little Cats
- The 7 Deadly Sins, as Demonstrated by Cat Videos
- Is Your Cat a Jerk? Take This Quiz to Find Out!
- 5 Important Life Lessons You Can Learn From Cat Videos
- Everything We Know About Confidence We Learned From These Siamese Cats
- This Cat Is Better at Jenga Than You Are, and Other Harsh Truths
- 5 Actionable Steps to Improve Your Bottom Line (Just Kidding! Here’s a Music Video About Kittens in Space!)
- Tips for Professional Development: Stop Working and Look at These Cats!
Learn more about your cat with Catster:
- I’m Willing to Bet That Your Cat Hates Her Litter Box — Here’s Why
- Weird Cat Facts: 8 Reasons Your Cat Likes to Lick You
- Our Best Tips for Getting Your Cat to Let You Sleep
About Angela: This not-crazy-at-all cat lady loves to lint-roll her favorite dress and go out dancing. She also frequents the gym, the vegan coffee joint, and the warm patch of sunlight on the living room floor. She enjoys a good cat rescue story about kindness and decency overcoming the odds, and she’s an enthusiastic recipient of headbutts and purrs from her two cats, Bubba Lee Kinsey and Phoenix.